Feeding and Nutrition :: Pictures of Aquatic Plants?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:25 pm   Pictures of Aquatic Plants?

I went to the pet store yesterday to get some aquatic plants for the turts to munch on. They had several types in one aquarium but had nothing telling me what kind they are. When I asked the "fish lady" she didn't know what kind they were either :roll:. She suggested I "bring in a picture and she'll try to find a match" Keep in mind this is the biggest pet store in town.

I would do a Google search but I'm at work and unable to access anything but this great forum.

Can anyone find me some pictures of the best plants for my turts.

Thanks
-Chris
As always, spelling errors are complimentary.

Taylor Family Zoo:
2 Red Ear Sliders
2 Fire Bellied Toads
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Short hair Kitten
1 Long hair Kitten
1 Siamese Manx mix (stumpy tail)
BigCT

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:04 pm   

Anacharis (my res LOVE this stuff)

Hornwort (a bit messier than other plants when ripped apart by turts)

Water Lettuce (lots of turts love this stuff but mine won't eat it. I think because it's fuzzy)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:22 pm   

From my experience, really any plant you get at the store your guys will eat. Mine actually seem to prefer other plants over the anacharis for whatever reason.

A good website to look at too is: http://www.pondkoi.com/
Reyna - 2.25"
Orion - 2.25"

Were 1.3" and 1.4" when I got them on May 12, 2005
therizman1

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:01 am   

my turtle loves to munch on the anacaris then let it float out of his mouth. then he will eat the bits that float out of his mouth. so weird but so cute.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:25 am   

Look here for a lot of pics: www.pondplants.com (Go the the Resource Library and click on Aquarium Plants on the bottom). :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:07 pm   

Thank you all for the replies and links.

This is what my work uses to keep us grunt workers from cruisin' the internet. :x

Stupid Work Computer wrote:Image

Reason:
The Websense category "Shopping" is filtered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
URL:
http://www.pondplants.com/

Oh well this forum still works :D

therizman1 What do your turts like?

Taylor Family Zoo:
2 Red Ear Sliders
2 Fire Bellied Toads
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Short hair Kitten
1 Long hair Kitten
BigCT

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:04 am   

Is this Anacharis?

The pet store guy knew nothing. I didn't take the picture with me and this is what I though most closely resembled it.

If not, any ideas on what it is and if it's safe?

Thanks

Taylor Family Zoo:
2 Red Ear Sliders
2 Fire Bellied Toads
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Short hair Kitten
1 Long hair Kitten
BigCT

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:58 pm   

It's not anachris, but if it was sold in the aquatic section of a petstore and can be used in a fish aquarium, it's safe for turts (just wash it before you give it to them).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:49 pm   

I have to agree with marissa... just about anything that the pet store sells as aquatic plants I will get, and your turts may even end up liking some other aquatic plants better.... plus if they dont, makes your tank look a little nicer, and gives the turts something to play with. Mine seem to enjoy pushing the plants around my tank for some reason, almost every day the plants are moved from where they were when I left for work.
Reyna - 2.25"
Orion - 2.25"

Were 1.3" and 1.4" when I got them on May 12, 2005
therizman1

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:52 pm   

Question...

My mom bought Anacharis and it doesn't exactly float like water lettuce or hyacynths. It came in bunches with no roots or the pots that I've seen them in the pics posted here. How exactly do you "feed" it to them. Right now I have it rigged with the plastic piece from a fake plant.. just ripped the fake plant out and threaded the Anacharis through it.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:08 pm   

I just let a strand or two float in the water. It came in bunches held together by a piece of lead? I throw the lead away and keep most of it in a separate tank of clean water (floating in the water). I give some to my turtles as part of their diet, not all at once.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:32 pm   

for all her good intentions, the little buggers ripped it ou of the "holder" and munched it to pieces, so I guess they like the anacharis.. :)

I bought a supply of plants from pondplants.com and was VERY please with the products I recieved. Heck I paid 99 cents for the water hyacinths I had been paying almost $4 for at the pet store.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:08 pm   

you can also anchor it down with a rock or something, I use to use the gray tie that held the bunch together to attach it to the pvc post of my basking platform till marissa told me it released lead into the water :cry: . now I anchore it under the pipe or under the edging of river rock etc. yup turts like to tear things up hey? :wink:
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:39 pm   

how much are anacharis?? ... im goin to home depot tomorrow to buy big rocks for the tank and anacharis if they sell the plant there or are they only sold in pet stores?
Mr.Turtle - 8.0" (female)
mitchy04

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:23 am   

they might have some aquatic plants at home depot. not shure if they do though. Your best bet is a petstore.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition