Feeding and Nutrition :: Eating Habbits Of My Three RES

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:17 pm   Eating Habbits Of My Three RES

I have three RES, that I have had for about 2 years. I do not know how old they were when I got them, but they are still relativley small. I will have pictures and measurments up soon =]]. They eat Reptomin pellets for a while, but I knew they needed variety, so we've tried something new. They're called HIKARI food sticks, my father gave me to try, they absolutly love them. They'll eat from my hands, and feeding time is quite enjoyable, for me and my family (especially my younger sister who loves the turtles.) I've tried giving them lettuce, and other vegtables that i've read are good for them. They refuse any other food though. Is this normal? & does anyone have suggestions to things i should try? Thanks so much =]]
3 RES- Tom, Lil' Dude, & Sparky.
9 Freshwater Tanks
2 Boxers (Dogs)- Callie & Maxi

I'd Be Happy To Take Picture Of Any Of Them For You Guys =]]
Tequila Turtle x3

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:25 pm   

Ahh I appoligize, this was supposed to be posted in the nutrition section, i'm very sorry for the mis-post.
9 Freshwater Tanks

Tequila Turtle x3

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:06 pm   

Someone in the moderating staff can move your post for you...

It is normal that your turtles won't take to the veggies right away. One of the important things to not do is feed them pellets right after they refuse the veggies. That's like saying, ok, you don't want those, so I'll give you this. Don't reinforce the negative behavior. Getting them to eat veggies may require tough love....meaning, don't feed any pellets. Offer the veggies, and even leave them float in the tank. Replace as needed due to wilting, etc. Don't offer pellets until you have noticed them eating the veggies. They will eventually get hungry enough to eat the veggies.

This may seem cruel, but in the wild they wouldn't eat every day anyway.

If after 4 or 5 days this doesn't do the trick, try soaking some of the veggies in some tuna juice.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:27 am   

Thanks So Much ! I Will Try That ASAP.
9 Freshwater Tanks

Tequila Turtle x3

Return to Feeding and Nutrition