Feeding and Nutrition :: feeding pineapples?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:22 pm   feeding pineapples?

does anyone know if its okay to feed a turtle pineapple? I've been trying to give give him fruits and veggies to see what he likes. After him ignoring everything i gave him, I decided to give him a piece of pineapple that I was eating(a piece I hadn't touch) and he atcually started eating it. I just want to check if its okay to give turtles pineapples. Because he likes! :D
Anette

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:35 pm   

It's a fruit, which means it shouldn't be offered often. Fruits in general should only be given once a month.

It seems very high in sugar content but I'm not sure how it compares to other fruits. It has a decent calcium/phosphorus ratio which is good. But with it being an acidic type fruit, I'm not sure how good it is to offer.

Maybe someone will jump in that knows for sure whether you should offer it anymore or not.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:51 pm   

yeah, actually today is the first day i tried to feed it fruit, knowing that they cant have much of it. But I've been feeding him veggies often, its hard to find one he likes. So far I know he will eat squash.

I was wondering too about the fact that is an acidic fruit, thats y i decide to ask, he only ate a little bit. I think he might have thought it was squash. since they look the same in the water, lol.
thanks for the respond sonyj!
Ebony- 4 yr old Mississippi Map turtle
Louie- 1 1/2 year old Mutt
Anette

Return to Feeding and Nutrition