Feeding and Nutrition :: Baby Toads?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:36 am   Baby Toads?

Around were I live baby toads have been popping up like crazy. I was wondering if its safe to feed these little guys to my baby RES. I'm sure the wild turtles around here eat them every chance they get but I was wondering if its at all health for them. Does anybody know?

EDIT
Another question. One of my RES is much more social then the other one. He comes to the surface of the water to feed when I put the pellets into the water and grabs all the food food he can leaving little or none for the other RES in the tank that is a bit more shy. I normally just take the More social RES out of the tank for a while and hold him while the other turtle comes out and gets some of the food. Is this a reasonable method of giving the shy RES a chance to eat or do you guys recommend another aproach to this situation? Its kinda funny because if its any other food besides pellets they both hurry to the top to gets some even if I'm sitting there staring directly at them :)
Oh, and sorry for not using the names of my RES instead of refering to them and the shy one and the social one I just haven't given them permanent names yet because I'm not 100% sure of their genders' yet.

Thanks a lot for any help!
Last edited by RX88 on Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
RX88

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:06 am   

Don't risk it. Some frogs/toads can be toxic if eaten. Even if they aren't, they could be carrying an illness or parasite that could be passed on to your turtle.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:21 am   

I see. Well thank you. Now that I think about it, it is true that toads have a type of toxic venom in the glad on the sides of their heads. I guess a more appropriate question is are they immune to this toxin? But your also right about the possibility that they are carrying a desease or parasite so I not going to tempt it. Thanks again :) But does anyone know if they are immune that toxin I was talking about? I'm just curious now.
~Drake
Houston (Aug. 1994-March 20, 2007)
I love you bigboy! We all miss you so much. You were the best cat ever. I will always remember the great times we had together. There will alway be a special place in my heart for you, my best and oldest friend.
RX88

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:05 am   

To answer your edit question, holding one, or removing him from the tank while feeding the shy one is perfectly acceptable. The other thing you can do is feed in separate containers. If you go that route, I would feed the outgoing one in the other container and feed the shy one in the habitat. It may take him a couple of days to adjust to such a situation. I personally feed at opposite ends of the tank, and that works for me...if what you are doing works, I'd stick with it.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:30 am   

wild toads could have also have pesticides in their system... I feed my turtle tadpoles one time and after she had eaten them I realized this, So I haven't done it since...
Boogerbutt02

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:15 pm   

oh tahts' so mean...poor little guys
vieniebebe

Return to Feeding and Nutrition