Feeding and Nutrition :: My turtle is very underweight

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:21 pm   My turtle is very underweight

I forgot to mention yesterday at the Vet, he felt Zeke and thought that he was VERY skinny for his size. He is 7" and weighs 1# 11oz. Not a lot of meat on his bones. So what can I do to get him a healthy weight? My vet suggested feeding him pellets every day until he gains some weight with veggies a couple of times a day. I have reduced cuttle bone to every other day, or should I give several small pieces a every day until he gets some weight on? I'm thinking that he was very neglected (as are many childs pets) before I got him.....GRRRR! Anyways should I give him more protein supplements (fish, crickets, shrimp etc?) than once a month too, just until he gains some weight? He also acts like he is starving to death, everytime I go near his tank, he pokes his head out like...whatcha got there? He eats everything I put in the tank...including last night he got his 6 feeder fish.....If I would have known he was gonna eat them all I wouldn't have put them all in at the same time.....but I'm still getting the hang of this....so bear with me.
Heather
--
1 RES Zeke 17 years (2/1/01)
6 Cats: Mercedes, Tiggles, Mouse, Raven, Smokes, Keekie
2 Dogs: Emmie & Ruby
cprcheetah

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:33 am   

I know there's no set weight by age for turtles but he's definetly underweight. Try a large earthworm once a week, gutloaded crickets once a week and pellets on other days. You don't want to give him too much too fast because it could make him sick. It's like if you didn't eat for a week then your first meal was 10 chocolate bars..wouldn't sit too well. Definetly keep up with the cuttlebone. He needs all the help he can get.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:43 pm   

He's always hungry but gains no weight? Has your vet analyzed a stool sample for parasites?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:24 pm   

I have only had Zeke since Saturday, and he is my first Turtle. I will have my vet analyze his stool for parasites. But Zeke I fear was neglected by the people who owned him before they tired of him. I am learning all I can, and hope to be able to help him.
Heather
--
cprcheetah

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:27 pm   

jenaero wrote:I know there's no set weight by age for turtles but he's definetly underweight. Try a large earthworm once a week, gutloaded crickets once a week and pellets on other days. You don't want to give him too much too fast because it could make him sick. It's like if you didn't eat for a week then your first meal was 10 chocolate bars..wouldn't sit too well. Definetly keep up with the cuttlebone. He needs all the help he can get.

Thank-you for your advice! How often should I give him feeder fish? He really loved them. That makes sense about the not eating, and getting sick. Thank-you
Heather
--
cprcheetah

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:41 pm   

No more than you would for a normal-weight turtle. I throw a dozen in every month or so. Get rosey red minnows rather than goldfish. Goldfish are too fatty.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:16 am   

Thank-you so much for the info. It's appreciated. Zeke had to see the vet again today as he developed a reddish spot on his nose area and has an infection under his nostrils on his skin. We are putting some ointment on it. Poor guy. He is still very skinny. My vet said he's almost emaciated. So I know he was neglected. Poor guy.
Heather
--
cprcheetah

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:49 am   

Glad to know he's found the right caretaker to nurse him to health. You're doing much more than what most people are willing to.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:05 am   

Somone mentioned seeding some fat or bulge by the back legs once and then the next day it going away. I notice that last night for Kaylee....but this morning it does not look the same. I'm trying to figure out if I should hold back on giving her as much food....and trying to see if she's over weight. Is there a Weight Scale Ledger for these little guys. Lately her brother has become a more agressive eater than she has (finally). So I just want to make sure that I am doing them right.

I haven't measured her lenght in liek two months bu I can notice that she's getting bigger in thickness (meaning if I look at her from the side).

Ps. I'm getting them some Lettuce today... Kayle Likes it, Kobe dont..I'll probably try the Tuna Trick.
"Live your life with prayer and Faith that God can bring you though anything."

RES 4in - Kaley(M) & Kobie(F)
JuelisKaylee

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:06 pm   

For weighing my Spotty I have a little scale that is made for weighing food for people on diets (which I'm well familiar with). You can usually get little scales at a grocery store. I have to read the weight really fast because he will wiggle right off the scale. I keep may hands around him but not touching so I can catch him if he starts to fall.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:34 pm   

But how much should they weigh..you know for let's say 2 inches....or 3 inches. is there a standard?

JuelisKaylee

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:26 pm   

JuelisKaylee - that's my question too. How much should a turtle weigh? How thin is too thin? There's some discussion on the topic under General Care: "How much should a turtle weigh?" But there doesn't seem to be a rule of thumb. Maybe one should be worked out.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:10 am   

If you ever find out please let me know...

JuelisKaylee

Return to Feeding and Nutrition