Feeding and Nutrition :: squash?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:09 pm   squash?

I know that squash is on the list of things you can feed yor RES... but does this include ALL squashes? There are so many kinds!! haha

acorn
butternut
hubbard
scallop
spaghetti
summer

Has anyone fed any of these to their RES? How do they like them?

I'm getting a bearded dragon on Tuesday so I'm comparing feeding lists. :)
Nicole
Hide and Seek are almost 4.5" each
1 Bearded Dragon named Ben :)
kneecole

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:12 pm   

My turts have had (lightly steamed to soften it a bit) pieces of acorn, butternut, and summer squash. The other squash would be fine as well. They've also had zucchini and pumpkin (which they love).

Do beardies eat squash as well?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:03 pm   

Ralph had some butternut squash the other night. He ate it, although I think he may have thought it was carrots (He loves carrots).
I think it's probably a "personal" thing, what a turtle likes... Mine has a sweet tooth and will go after any fruit, passing over his greens several times until he's sure there's no more fruit left :P
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
BullDog

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:07 am   

marisa wrote:My turts have had (lightly steamed to soften it a bit) pieces of acorn, butternut, and summer squash. The other squash would be fine as well. They've also had zucchini and pumpkin (which they love).

Do beardies eat squash as well?

I tried to give my guys zucchini a couple of times and they wouldn't touch it. The pleco ended up sucking it dry. lol. I may give the other ones a try, steaming sounds like a good idea too...

Yeah all of the different squashes were listed on the food list for BD that I found. And half the veggies on there I've never even heard of!
Nicole
Hide and Seek are almost 4.5" each
1 Bearded Dragon named Ben :)
kneecole

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:51 pm   

My turts don't care for zucchini that much either (it's the pumpkin that they love) unless I get the scent of something like fish on it. And they do like the sweeter squashes more as well (why they like the pumpkin, I think).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Feeding and Nutrition