Feeding and Nutrition :: Keeping it Crisp

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:42 pm   Keeping it Crisp

How do you keep greens, crisp longer? Are they still good to feed your turt after they get all floppy looking?
Blue Flamingo

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:57 pm   

i dont feed them anything soggy but that could just be me. if you wrap veggies in foil then put them in the crisper in the fridge they'll keep quite a while.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:09 pm   

After cutting the core off and separating the leaves, I thoroughly wash and spin dry (using a Salad Spinner) all my greens as soon as I buy them. Then I store them in a Ziploc or vacuum seal bag with most of the air pressed out. They usually stay fresh and crisp for around 2 to 2 1/2 weeks or until all eaten which ever comes sooner. I hardly ever have any to go bad or get floppy.

One time I was just not in a hurry to do the above steps after buying the lettuce and after just a few days all of the lettuce was wilted and droopy looking when stored in the fridge straight from the store.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:27 pm   

I have fresh lettuce from the garden, and if you pick it and just stick it in the fridge, it'll get wilty. So what I've been doing is wash it, then dry it a bit and wrap it in a dish towel, then put the whole thing in a plastic grocery bag. It stays crisp for quite a while.
However, I've had a wilty piece that I put in Ralph's tank, and since he only goes to lettuce as a last resort, it was untouched for a couple hours, and by that time, it had crisped up again :)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
BullDog

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:58 pm   

I don't feed anything at oozes an ick and is really floppy and soggy. Don't know what you guys might think, but I keep my veggies in resealable cans with the powdered milk for babies, they strangely serve well. I just wash the can, wash the veggies, put the most sensitive ones in Ziploc bags and put it all in the can. I use them for fruits too, and I have a 2 month-old apple in there looking as crisp as the ones you find at the store, just with bruises here and there. But I wouldn't keep a bunch of letuce in there for over three weeks, because it starts oozing an ick that leaks through the bag and rusts the can.
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:26 pm   

I change whatever greens are left (what is left depends on the turtle) daily, unless it still looks like it was just put in the tank. Tender leaves don't last as long as larger (and tougher ones), but my turtles prefer the tender ones and are much more apt to eat them more quickly.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:36 pm   

Thanks for all the great advise.
RES-Ivan
Blue Flamingo

Return to Feeding and Nutrition