Feeding and Nutrition :: One of our turtles has completely lost his appetite....

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:46 am   One of our turtles has completely lost his appetite....

We have two RES - I'm guessing that they're 6 - 8 months - and I absolutley love these little guys. The slightly bigger turtle has always been the more aggressive eater, however, lately he hasn't even taken a nibble at feeding time. Nothings changed...same food, same feeding time, same H2O temp., etc. He (or she) doesn't appear to be lethargic, or show signs of distress, but I know he (or she) must be hungry. Is this something that I should be worried about? I have been concerned about this and am unable to find information about RES who quit eating. Anybody have an idea as to what this could be?
lovinlife

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:52 am   

There are several things that could cause an RES to stop eating. To help narrow it down it would be good to have some background info on them.
I could go down the list asking questions but it would be easier if you just answered these ?'s for us: http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2142

~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:09 am   

Thanks for the quick reply. Here are the answers to the questions:

Rocky is approx. 2.5 inches long - 2 inches wide, We've had him 6 months, H2O temp is 83, no heater, their habitat is in a 10 gal. tank, 1/2 filled with H2O, floored with pebbles and rock, with a turtle dock, their tank is directly in front of a big window in a room that's relatively low in activity, there is a H2O filteration, no UVB light (but do take them out to bask 1x week), use H2O conditioner, clean out tank regularly (3x month, now that I have the filter), feeding on Nutrain Max Turtle Gammarus Pellets (daily), Whole Krill (weekly), fruit (banana, apple - weekly), hard boiled egg (monthly), green leaf lettuce (2x weekly). These little guys have both been hearty eaters, especially Rocky. I've read through the forums searching for similar situations but didn't come across any other then the turtle with the eye infection who hadn't eaten in 9 days. Tomorrow will be three days since Rocky's eaten.
lovinlife

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:21 am   

How big are the rocks on the floor of the tank? RES are known to eat the rocks if they are small enough to do so, and can become impacted. I would remove any gravel or small rocks that you have, as soon as you can.

In terms of diet, I would focus more on the pellets and the veggies. See the feeding list in the feeding section.

Have you tried live prey to get them to eat? Sometimes the smell of some tuna will get their attention as well.

Has the eye infection been treated?

Your turt either needs a basking light (UVB) or needs to get outside more often. 1 time a week isn't suffecient for proper turtle care.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:27 am   

Thank you Missi, for the information. I'm going to remove the gravel that does lay on the very bottom of their tank. What happens if they do get a piece of gravel impacted? Is this something that they can pass through their digestion system or will he need to be seen by a professional? Tomorrow I'm going to purchase a UVB light...I knew sooner or later I'd need to get them one and this seems like the right time. Re: the eye infection. This wasn't my turtle. I was referencing a message that I had read on the forum regarding another turtle who had quit eating...for 9 days...because he had an eye infection.
lovinlife

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:36 am   

Oh, sorry about the eye infection part, I was confused.

What after your turtles are fed very carefully for either of them to poop out the gravel they may have eaten. You will need to pick out the bits as that happens, or they will just reeat it (If this happens to be what's wrong).

If you don't notice any coming out, and they still aren't eating...if you firmly believe that impaction may be the reason why they aren't eating, then it would mean a trip to the vet. I think there are a couple of options for removal, at worst case being surgery. But a vet can do xrays and tell you if that is indeed the problem too.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:01 am   

thanks! What an awesome resource this website it. I appreciate you suggestions!
lovinlife

Return to Feeding and Nutrition