Feeding and Nutrition :: What kind of Veggies are best?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:36 pm   What kind of Veggies are best?

Right now I feed my turtles pellets everyother day but I have carrots in there everyday. I just read a post saying that wasn't good :(
They also LOVE corn, but I don't feed them that too often b/c I was told it was too good either... and peas they aren't to fond of, plus...they aren't good EITHER...
For lettuce I feed them baby romaine, but they make a huge mess with it so it isn't in there all the time. They really like it though.
So, anyway, what veggies can you use as a safe staple??
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:40 pm   

The key is variety. That being said, mine usually get a few leaves of lettuce a day, plus a treat of sweet pepper, grapes, carrots, sweet potato, etc. to go with it. I use varieties of lettuce, and dandelions.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:55 pm   

You need to focus on feeding dark leafy greens with a variety of veggies along with them, like Missi said, whether it's messy or not. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:18 pm   

If you don't like the mess in the tank, you can try a seperate feeding container. I personally think that is a mess in and of itself, but for some people it is a better option.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:52 pm   

Dandelions are considered to be really good, some lettuce is better than others (red leaf, for example), but most lettuce is more of a filler. Collard greens are good to add to the diet as well.

Don't know how much you're giving, but perhaps if you fed less of it, there would be less of a mess in the tank. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:15 pm   

Ok, sounds awesome.
I am going to buy more lettuce whenever we go to the store b/c we ran out of the other stuff.

We're about to move too...In like 4 weeks, should I feed them the lettuce when we stop for the night? Or just the pellets?
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Return to Feeding and Nutrition