Feeding and Nutrition :: Too many Carrots?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:08 pm   

No one has mentioned that when you soak lettuce in tuna, all the tuna water just washes into the tank as soon as you put the leaf in...how do you avoid this? Does the leaf retain any of the smell? all I see is my tank getting dirtier and smelling ilke tuna fish as green leaves fly around the tank not eaten :(
Turtle's name is "turtle"
sublime1008

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:43 pm   

If I were doing this, I'd break the leaf up into smaller/small pieces and I'd "marinate" them over night.

They have a great sense of smell, and if the pieces were small, they'd be more apt to eat them before the smell is totally gone.

If the tank is being made a mess, I'd feed in a separate container. (How strong is your filter if whole leaves are flying around the thank?)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:29 pm   

After soaking them, you can let them grab small pieces from your hand or leave it on the basking area.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:42 pm   

I have a 55 gallon tank with a fluval 404.....thats waht makes them fly....my turtle doesnt eat off the basking area cause he doesnt realize its food...perhaps the soaking and drying over night would work...
Turtle's name is "turtle"
sublime1008

Previous

Return to Feeding and Nutrition