Feeding and Nutrition :: veggies

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:40 am   veggies

which veggies make the least mess....she likes the romaine lettuse but it makes a huge mess
gloveman

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:41 am   

If you don't like the mess, use a seperate container for feeding. Your RES's dieat shouldn't be based on what doesn't make a mess.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:46 am   Re: veggies

gloveman wrote:which veggies make the least mess....she likes the romaine lettuse but it makes a huge mess

Maybe your turt is just not used to the lettuce yet. Feed her in a separate container, and mix a little bit of canned cat food with the lettuce (mix/feed the turt with baby spoon or with your fingers if you don't mind getting bitten). That was what I had to do to get Sheba used to eating veggies (make the veggies smell like fish, chicken, or whatever!).

My Sheba used to shred the lettuce & make a big mess because she didn't like it. Now she nips and bites at the lettuce and it completely disappears (without me having to mix in cat food).
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
industrial_girl_2000

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:10 am   

use a seperate container for feeding....do you mean take the turtle out of the tank to feed.....or put something in the tank
gloveman

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:10 am   

A small dishpan will work, with enough water in it to cover her. I mean take her out. It may take her a bit to get adjusted to it though. There are other posts on seperate feeding containers.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:58 pm   

How much romaine are you giving your turtle? I'd try giving less (or pieces rather than the whole leaf).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:45 pm   

My turtles LOVED the lettuce too. They made a huge mess with it too though... because they eat like little pigs. :P
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Return to Feeding and Nutrition