Feeding and Nutrition :: seperate tank and such

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:45 pm   seperate tank and such

I just received two red-eared sliders for my birthday a few days ago. My boyfriend and I have ourselves a little zoo (2 bearded dragons, a cat, 2 aquariums of fish, and now our 2 new members). So, we are experienced pet owners, but new to the realm of turtles. We have all of the appropriate set up for the turtles, but are curious about feeding them.

Forgive me if my questions have already bee answered. I have been looking over the boards for about an hour and a half now, and decided to just write myself.

My first question is on the second feeding tank. We bought a 10 gallon just for feeding. I've read that it will need to be full of water in order for them to swallow the food. Does this water need to be changed after every feeding? Once a week? Also, does it need to be a certain temperature? I know that they need to be in there for about 15 minutes to get their fill. I'm sure that it can't be an extremes of hot or cold, but would room temperature be fine?

I also have a question on feeding them fish and other proteins. I've read they are mostly carnivorous as juveniles. The pet store guy told us only to feed them pellets, and that feeder fish had no nutritional value. However, we all know how knowledgable the pet store guy can be (ha!). He said the feeder fish were not fed, so they had no nutritional value. Is it a common practice at pet stores not to feed the feeder fish, or am I going to the wrong store?

I definitely intend on feeding them pellets and veggies. I was wondering how often to put some guppies or rosy reds in there? A few a week, a few every other week? Does it entirely depend on how often my little guys want to eat them?

Also, I don't recall ever seeing feeder guppies at my local pet stores. I have been there often looking at fish, because one of my aquariums has only little fish in it (and there is a cannibal in the midst! :wink: ). If I cannot locate feeder guppies or rosy reds, is there an other options? Are fancy guppies okay? I know there a little over a buck each, but I don't care that much if it makes my turtles happy.

Well, any help would be much appreciated! Sorry for my lengthy letter..
Autumnlily44

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:06 pm   

Congrats on the new additions, and welcome to the site! I'll try starting from the top.....

You don't really need a separate tank for feeding. If you really want to feed them outside the tank (which some turtles won't tolerate) then you can use a dishpan or tupperware container with water from the tank, then just dump it when you're done. They don't really need 15 min to eat. Feed them the amount the size of their head. I know most of the cans of food say on them to feed as much as it will eat in 15 min. I know my turts could devour the whole can in less than that if given the chance.

Fish are great for exercise. Rosies and guppies are best and can be found at most pet stores. Their bones are a good source of calcium. I throw a dozen feeders in every couple of weeks. There are always some that manage not to get eaten. I've never fed my feeders either so that's no biggie.

I don't imagine fancy guppies would be any different nutritionally but they're more expensive. Look around at different stores and you'll find some feeder guppies.

I think I covered it all..... :-)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:22 pm   

Hi and welcome. :)

Feeding out of the tank, especially if their regular tank isn't that big, will help keep the water cleaner. I used to do it on a regular basis when my RES was smaller, but now do it only when the food he's being given is really messy. I use a light-colored dishpan (easier for them to see the food) and to keep the water temp about the same, I just take some of the water from the tank (and replace the tank water if necessary). The water in the feeding container doesn't have to be that deep, just enough for your turtles to comfortably grab the food and eat it.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Feeding and Nutrition