Feeding and Nutrition :: Where to feed the turtle??

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:04 pm   Where to feed the turtle??

I just bought a res about 3 days ago and I know the pellets go in the water but do you put the fruits and vegetables in the water or on dry land? And how much of it do you put in there?
matt2615

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:35 pm   

Turtles have to eat in water due to a reduced saliva gland and a fixed tongue. So any food you feed them goes in the water. Some people lay it on the basking dock but then your turtles will have to go up to get it and bring it back to the water.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:07 pm   

yea veggies and fruits go in the water too. You can feed as much veggies as you want but fruits should be a rare treat (about once a month). I usually put lettuce in there and when its almost gone, ill put more. Its something for them to munch on when they are hungry but they can never overeat veggies.
Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell.

Davinci and Leonardo <3
TNTurtles

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:12 pm   

yea. TNTurtles is right. all food goes in the water. but some of the members that seem to have joined way long ago say that feeding them fruits more than once a month is ok, but not everyday and if more than once a month, like once a week, feed in SMALL AMOUNTS!!!

feeding them TOO MUCH veggies can cause them diahrrea tho
------------------------------------
~E>Sheldon - baby turt - age unknown
~Tiki<3 - baby turt - age unknown
aznxturtxlover

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:20 pm   

Any food if eaten to excess can be to much in that it will result in weigh gain. Luckily for food like lettuce, etc. it would take a lot, and a turtle would most likely get sick of it before that would happen.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Feeding and Nutrition