Feeding and Nutrition :: res acting very crazy

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:17 pm   res acting very crazy

I have a res turtle who is about 7/8 years old. She is about 5 pounds and 9" long. About 3/4 weeks ago she laid her second set of eggs; 6 of them. Ever since then she has been acting very wild; by continuely splashing on top of the water very high and hard for most of the day and night, and when she finally gets out of the water and on her box ; she either kicks at her tail or rises up and down in the same type of motion she did when she was laying her eggs. She also has eaten anything in the last week or two. Is there a problem? Is this normal? She just laid her first set of eggs this year in March and then again in May only about 5/6 weeks apart.Is this normal and could this be the cause of her wild behavor? Before this she was so perdictable and a very healthy ; down right a pig of a eater. Please let me know what is going on. Thank you.
windsor56

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:22 pm   

Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell.

Davinci and Leonardo <3
TNTurtles

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:28 pm   

Do you have a nesting area for you turt? Be sure to read through the thread that TNTurtles left for you. There is a post on that thread that links to tortoise trust. It is a wonderful article that talks about why you need one, what it needs to include, and what can happen if you don't have a nesting area. It isn't natural for RES to lay their eggs in water, and can harm your turtle if she is.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:36 pm   

How often and how many times a year does a res turtle lay eggs?
windsor56

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:45 pm   

check this out
http://www.redearslider.com/index_basic_care_3.html

You said she has eaten, but did you mean to say that she hasn't eaten? and are you absolutely sure she hasn't?
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:22 am   

You may want to check to see if she's retaining any eggs.. if you can gentle feel the area above the back legs (where it indents) and see if you can feel anything in there.. I'm wondering if she's just not done laying her eggs for the season :(
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:13 pm   EGGS

HOW LONG DOES IT USUALLY TAKE A RES TO LAY EGGS ONCE THEY START ACTING LIKE THEY ARE TRYING TO
windsor56

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:28 pm   

Once my female RES picked a place, she took 4 hours the very first time, 2 1/2 hours the second time.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:52 pm   

What would be a sure sign that my res turtle might be retaining eggs, that I could check before taking her to a vet. We don't have a turtle vet close to our house.and I think the drive there would be harmful and a lot of trouble to get her there. But I don't want anything to happen to her.
windsor56

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:48 pm   

Read the links that TNTurtles and Missibsu posted... I'll see if I can dig up other links later.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:42 pm   

windsor56, as noted above, to see if your turtle has any eggs in her, gently place your index finger in the areas just in front of the hind legs. If your feel something that feels like grapes, those are the eggs. If she is retaining eggs, and she won't lay them, she really should be taken to a herp vet, who would help her expell them. If she does have eggs and they break inside her, she'll get an infection.

You didn't say how far away one is, but if you need to get her to a vet and are transporting her by car, put her in a container with a damp cloth on the bottom and and another over her so she can burrow under it. If it's dark, she'll most likely sleep and shouldn't be stressed out by the trip. (Have the temp in the car comfortable, not made too cool by the AC.)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Feeding and Nutrition