Feeding and Nutrition :: Help?!

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:04 pm   Help?!

Hello everyone and anyone,
My wife and I just got 2 baby turtles, we are new owners and one of them is not eating anything. It is a map turtle or saw back turtle if you will. The tank is 10 gallon, temperature of water is around 80 at all times. We have tried; pellets, dried worms, snails, shrimp, chicken, sausage meat, strawberries, nectarine, spinach, avocado and just picked up a live plant from the pet store last night. The other turtle is a Cooter, he eats everything and all the time. We don’t know what to do anymore, all he does it lay around and bask in the light. Never see him eat and we have a camera on him at all times. Please help!!!!
Bmorgs

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:37 pm   Re: Help?!

Hi, I’d first separate them. Cover the sides so there is more privacy for him. Try some live prey like minnows (held by the tail if necessary, so it can wiggle in front of his face). Also, get a smallish container. With warm water, some unflavored Pedialyte and some crumbled up pellets, create a soak for him so he will get some nutrients when he drinks water. Does he still have a yolk sac?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:07 pm   Re: Help?!

No, not sure how old he is just small like a few inches big not really a baby. Ill try and do all of that, went to the pet store last night and all the “live” worms were in a fridge and pretty much dead. Maybe a bait shop
Bmorgs

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:16 pm   Re: Help?!

Fish will probably work better than worms. White chicken meat, as well as canned tuna fish might work too, but I would try the minnows first as it is important to get him to eat right away.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition