Feeding and Nutrition :: Am I over feeding my red eared slider

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:57 pm   Am I over feeding my red eared slider

Am I over feeding my 7 year old female red eared slider? She is egg bound with 13-15 eggs and 9 of the 13 or 15 have already been laid. She doesn’t seem to stop eating at all and she keeps moving this rock to bite at the lining of the tank. How can I stop this, and is she being over fed. How do I know when to stop feeding her?
[youtube] https://youtu.be/9KQqq2ukoWM[/youtube]
Frostyy

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:11 pm   Re: Am I over feeding my red eared slider

If you feed her the amount shown in the video daily, plus veggies then I think that is fine. RES are opportunistic eaters and known for aggressive begging. If you feed her on a schedule and avoid giving in when she begs, then she won't do it as often. As for biting the silicone, is there algae on it? If so clean it, if there are bulges on in then you might need to trim it carefully. But if she;s been biting it, it might already be compromised (and resealing a tank is a pain).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:07 pm   Re: Am I over feeding my red eared slider

So how much is too much food daily? The lining is bulged in that area so it not that bad yet but I might reseal it today. I just want to know if she is going to get shell pyramiding from how much I fed her yesterday.
Frostyy

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:14 pm   Re: Am I over feeding my red eared slider

The lower end of pellets would be around 1/4 head size. We used to say 1/2 head size, but I feel that was still too much. That's also why its important to feed veggies. As for the reseal, it usually means scrapping the silicone off all the glass edges (bu leaving that small amount wedges between the glass). New silicone does not bond with older silicone that has cured.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:18 pm   Re: Am I over feeding my red eared slider

If I over feed my turtle one day but never feed him that much again will she get shell pyramiding
Frostyy

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:47 am   Re: Am I over feeding my red eared slider

Probably not. Consistent feeding is more important when they are still growing.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition