Feeding and Nutrition :: RES Diet Help

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:42 pm   RES Diet Help

I have two red earred sliders that are just over a year and half years old. I'm trying to establish a consistent feeding pattern for them but having difficulty making sure they are getting enough, but not too much.

They LOVE LOVE LOVE the ReptoMin baby pellets as I have been feeding them those since I received them over a year ago. I feed every other day but unsure of how much exactly. I've been going by the 'as big as their head would hold if it were hollow' saying but they finish that in less than 30 seconds. I guess I have a few questions about this:
How much to feed baby reptomin pellets to a year and a half old RES?
When would be smart to upgrade to the bigger size of pellets?

As for the off days, I feed them a large piece of red leaf lettuce and they will tear that up in about an hour. On these days I often substitute in carrots and collard greens but mainly use the red leaf lettuce.

They also enjoy the ReptoMin shrimp for protein but I don't want to overfeed them on that as well. So how much and how often would be an appropriate amount for this?

Money isn't an issue and I know a balanced diet is important. Based on their age any diet, any tips/plans would be greatly appreciated! :D
Adamsv7

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:33 am   Re: RES Diet Help

The shrimp I would probably use once or twice a month. Without knowing how big your RES are, I would use smaller amounts. Say about 1/3 or 1/4 head size daily? Get a new pill box to sort out the food and make sure no one can sneak extra food to them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:00 am   Re: RES Diet Help

steve wrote:The shrimp I would probably use once or twice a month. Without knowing how big your RES are, I would use smaller amounts. Say about 1/3 or 1/4 head size daily? Get a new pill box to sort out the food and make sure no one can sneak extra food to them.

Ok thank you for that advice on the shrimp. And what do you mean a pill box; can you show me an example?
The shell size of my RES are about 2 inches maybe a little larger. How many of the baby reptomin pellets a day should be given?
Adamsv7

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:58 am   Re: RES Diet Help

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Apex-Healthcare- ... B000LJC7N8

I don't remember the size of those pellets, but 1/3 or 1/4 head size is fine. If you're ever not sure, its better to use less or even skip a meal.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition