Feeding and Nutrition :: Turtle is not eating AGAIN

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:42 pm   Turtle is not eating AGAIN

I see from the forum that I posted this last December. My turtle stopped eating. I have been feeding jello shots from the recipe I got here, and he has been eating them and suddenly stopped. He shows no interest in raw fish (frozen fillet we give as a treat) but he does eat flake food, and I recently got him some fat white worms which he went crazy for. We upped his UV bulb and he basks and swims and seems to have energy, but is this a cycle thing that might be yearly, triggered by light changes (he has light on a timer, but he also gets a bit from the window) or perhaps he is a female and going into an egg cycle? We were told he was male, but perhaps they were wrong? He even rejected cooked chicken meat which he usually LOVES. Suggestions?
Zombiehead

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:52 pm   Re: Turtle is not eating AGAIN

What type size and style UV bulb ? Good read here : http://www.redearslider.com/index_lighting_basking.html

For some this is an cycle thing. One way that helps to prevent it is to offer very consistent heat and lighting year round so your turtle does not feel the change of seasons as much. Also watch the ambient air in home from season to season , the difference from a/c to heat.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:34 pm   Re: Turtle is not eating AGAIN

Well he ate those worms, and so I bought him more worms, recommended by the pet store, these were bigger and darker yellowish brown, he did not want to eat them at all. I put them outside next to the bird feeder and they disappeared, so they went to good use. I bought some shrimp (human grade) and he didn't eat those. I cooked him chicken, he didn't eat that. I bought some bloodworm cubes and he ate those and that's all he has eaten along side some flake fish food. The temperature of the water is steady, the UV bulb is new and seems to give him what he needs, (it was what was recommended by the fish store) and he swims around and basks with his head up in "hunting" mode, but this seems to be going on a long time. I did notice when he reaches for the bloodworms, the inside of his mouth looks pale, or maybe that is just my impression of it knowing he is off his feed. Any other suggestion?

The above suggestion was checked, he is away from the wall so no cold air from the wall, plus the radiator is near him, and temperature has been consistently at 72 to 78 when checked.
Zombiehead

Return to Feeding and Nutrition