Feeding and Nutrition :: Canned foods?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:05 pm   Canned foods?

Hi everyone,

I dug thru the archives but couldn't find anything regarding those "Can o' worms", "Can o' hoppers", or "Can o' crickets" (available at our local pet store & are made for reptiles). I have occasionally bought these for my turtle as a treat (expensive at $5/can so it isn't TOO often, LOL), and she LOVES them, but how healthy are they for her? Same goes for cat food (fancy feast). Every 3-4 months, I will feed her some flaked fish cat food or one of those can o' bugs. She *LOVES* them & is *VERY* enthusiastic to get these treat-foods. She gets so excited about the treats that I have to feed her with a baby spoon (saves my hand....learned the hard way, LOL!)

(Normally I feed her reptomin foodsticks, but after reading this forum about veggies, I am going to try to feed her more veggies....thanks for the tips on how to get them to eat veggies!)
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
industrial_girl_2000

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:11 pm   

I don't know how nutritious they are but they're just fine for a snack. I can't justify buying the can'o'worms/crickets/hoppers too often because they don't last long after opening and they're just too darn expensive. Of the last can'o'hoppers I bought, I only used 2 :shock:

For bugs, your best bet is to buy the Fluker's Freeze Dried Crickets. They also make mealworms and other stuff. It's all gut-loaded (full of calcium and other good stuff) and they last forever.

As for cat food, if it's low fat it's ok for a snack. I feed it to my boxies about twice a week.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:17 pm   

Thanks so much! I printed out the what to feed/what not to feed lists and added the freeze dried crickets/mealworms to it. :)

Fortunately for me, a can o'bugs only lasts for a week (3 feedings); my baby is BIG! I have never had to waste any.
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
industrial_girl_2000

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:30 pm   

Three feedings on one can? That sounds like an a lot to me--especially for the mealworms.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Feeding and Nutrition