Feeding and Nutrition :: RES Eating Habit Change HELP

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:14 pm   RES Eating Habit Change HELP

I have a 3 year old slider named Georgie. I adopted her about 2 months ago. I feed her pellets, Reptomin and a krill daily. I also started to feed her feeder fish (gold fish). I was giving them to her once a week but her response was so great that I was giving her one every day. She had never had anything other than Reptomin before I adopted her. I know it is protein dense but her previous owner neglected her. She has a deteriorated shell that is visibly damaged so I working to get that fixed.

Recently (3 days) she stopped eating her feeder fish. I held off on her regular food for a few days to see if I was just over feeding her and she still hasn't eaten her feeder fish. I fed her normal diet to her today and engulfed it all so she was clearly hungry. She is still swimming and basking as usual.

I will definitely switch to a different fish instead of gold fish after reading these forum -- please give recommendations as to how often I should be giving her feeder fish and what kind of feeder fish you recommend.

She also is having skin issues, it seems to be peeling. This is also still relatively new, like 2 weeks. I am not sure if this is normal.

Money is a non-issue when it comes to my pets so if I need to buy things please let me know!

Thank you in advance!
anelson9096

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:10 am   Re: RES Eating Habit Change HELP

You cannot compensate an abused life by overfeeding her with protein based food. A proper habitat, proper diet and time is the only solution. Protein won't help the shell more, calcium will. Feed her veggies ! You can find calcium supplements for turtles as well.

Skin peeling is normal, she is shedding. Just check if it's not excessive, then it could be a problem. You can always post a picture if you aren't sure ! But since she is eating and basking fine I would think it's just shedding.
PokePony

Return to Feeding and Nutrition