Feeding and Nutrition :: Are crabapples ok? Cherries?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:44 pm   Are crabapples ok? Cherries?

Turtle is 6 year old female with 8" shell. In her pond area, there is a shade tree that produces either crabapples or cherries not sure which. It was recently fruiting, and lots of fruits fell into her land and pond area. She loves them whatever they are, and won't stop eating them. She consumes every one in her pool, and when she is in her land area, she collects them in her mouth without eating them, sometimes 3 or more. When she is back in the pond she will eat the ones she collected in her mouth. At first I thought it was blood because when she bites down, there is a red juice that spreads around her mouth area. It's not possible to clean them all out of the area, though the tree has stopped producing now at least. Will she get sick from this? She seems pretty healthy and happy. I read somewhere that fruit in large amounts was bad for them. I don't know weather these are toxic to Red Ear Sliders or not.
RedEarSliderOwner

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:30 am   Re: Are crabapples ok? Cherries?

Fruit is not a natural food wild RES's would encounter and its use should be limited to rare and in very small portions. Turtles are pretty smart they have that build in sense on what's toxic. It is more like a treat to them , only problem I see is that it may prefer that to normal nutritious food and that would be a problem. Like a child , they would eat ice cream and candy for dinner if you let them , not nutritious !
It's our job having captive turtles to feed a well balanced and a variety of nutritious food for a healthy and long life which could be 50 plus years.
litefoot

Return to Feeding and Nutrition