Feeding and Nutrition :: blowing bubbles when eating

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:59 pm   blowing bubbles when eating

Hello there,
I'm new on this forum, I registered to ask a lil' question, if its allowed.
I have two 8yo female sliders living in two tanks side by side.
Recently i noticed that they blow bubbles out of their mouth when eating...something that they never have done before. One started some time ago, the other one more recently this year. When it was just one, I thought she was playing with the food...but now that the second one does it, I'm a lil worried. Sometimes it messes with their aim and they have to try a 2nd time to get the pellet
The tanks are 55gallons...had a bigger one for both of them, but it was necessary to trade it for those, since one of the turtles became overly-aggressive- she is a nasty since they gave her to me. The water temperature is 72F, I feed them Reptomin pellets, for lighting I use two lamps- Megasun 5.0 uvb,a normal bulb for basking and i use Biotopol T for the tap water when changing.
They are energetic and have a very big appetite otherwise, I havent noticed anything else unusual about their behaviour.. I let them out in my room for walks every other daywhen I'm home, because their aquariums are a lil small. They dont swim lopsided or act lethargic in the tank.
Do you know what the reason for this could be and if its dangerous or just trivial? I have thought if its connected with their air bladder...but unfortunately i know nothing of this organ..
Thanks for the attention in advance,
Delinquent

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:28 pm   Re: blowing bubbles when eating

Welcome to the site! Without the presence of other symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:24 am   Re: blowing bubbles when eating

That was what I was hoping for. Thank you for answering=)
Delinquent

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:26 pm   Re: blowing bubbles when eating

No problem. Do you think they're eating too fast? I tend to spread out the pellets during feeding so they have to make a little effort to go after them.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition