Feeding and Nutrition :: Mazuri pellets too large? + lettuce bits everywhere!!

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:54 pm   Mazuri pellets too large? + lettuce bits everywhere!!

Hello again! I just recently ran out of baby turtle food, and switched to the larger Mazuri pellets, also partly because they have less protein in them (the turtles are still recovering from pyramiding). I noticed that sometimes they have a hard time eating the whole pellet, though, and it'll pop out of their mouths about half the time. The other half they can eat it just fine. Their shells are 2.5 to 3 inches long at this point. Should I be concerned, or are they just fine?

Also, I have a bit of a problem with lettuce bits getting everywhere. The turtles will snap at the lettuce and I presume eat it, but what they don't put in their mouths ends up floating around until I scoop them up. I have an Ovation 1000 filter, and the lettuce gets stuck in the little slits next to the sponge. Do you guys think that they're actually eating the lettuce, or are they just biting it and not eating? And is there any chance the filter will get jammed up?

I have to leave my turtles in the care of a friend for a couple weeks soon, so I want to get this stuff sorted out before I can't look after them everyday myself! Thank you!!
mjx

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:15 pm   Re: Mazuri pellets too large? + lettuce bits everywhere!!

You can probably break the pellets into smaller pieces. Thats what I do for one of mine. Lettuce is just a pain in the rump! Thats why i dont feed it and turtles dont need greens as long as they get a quality pellet food. And Sun!
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:35 pm   Re: Mazuri pellets too large? + lettuce bits everywhere!!

Hm, okay. Thanks! Maybe I'll just feed them a little less lettuce or something.
mjx

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:43 pm   Re: Mazuri pellets too large? + lettuce bits everywhere!!

Thats fine for the lettuce. For pellets maybe something like Omga One hatchling formula would work for you.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Feeding and Nutrition