Feeding and Nutrition :: Feeding separately

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:46 am   Feeding separately

We recently moved, and our slider hasn't eaten since. We've had him for about a year, and he normally eats a mix of ReptoMin Floating Food Sticks, Fluker's River Shrimp and Omega One Juvenile Turtle pellets (our best guess about his age is 2-3 years, my son rescued him from a garage sale when the slider was only about 2-3 inches long). He ate healthy before the move, but upon doing some research, I decided to start feeding him in a separate tub to keep his habitat cleaner. He basks regularly, and he is very energetic. His water temperature holds steady at about 75 degrees. The tub is about 11"x16"x6" and I fill it up with his tank water (which I replace with clean dechlorinized water). He typically hates it. He thinks that if he is out of his tank, he should be roaming around, but I am not sure the new place is safe for him to roam yet. I would guess that the move stressed him, but it has been a week and he still hasn't eaten. Is this too many changes at once? Has anyone else had problems switching from tank feeding to separate feeding?
BeastofBusco

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:02 pm   Re: Feeding separately

Were there a lot of changes to the tank after the move? You can bump up the temps a little and feed in his regular tank. After he's eating regularly, then try the feeding container again. It shouldn't take long for him to realize where the food is :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:57 pm   Re: Feeding separately

I agree with Steve.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Feeding and Nutrition