Feeding and Nutrition :: What to feed a snapping turtle?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:58 am   What to feed a snapping turtle?

Okay so I know these guys are big eaters, and I know their diet is omnivorous.... But what would you actually feed them as a bulk? Can I get random uncooked meats(boiling them to kill any salmonella or stuff) and just feed them that along with turtle pellets? I was thinking I could get some cheap raw meats and give them those...

I see some people feeding them mice but I kinda wanna stay away from anything with hairs since they can't process that.... Like my question is-- where can I get a large amount of food for them that is dirt cheap? Because while I am trying to keep their diets correct, I also want to keep my wallet intact. I haven't gotten the turtle yet but I figure it's the only thing resilent enough that doesn't really bask that would last a long time... Going by a tip from a fellow member I might just order a female in the hopes it stays a lot smaller than the male... (even though in most turtle species it's the male that is smaller?)

P.s. I wouldn't get it for the wow factor like some people do... I didn't even know it had a wow factor considering it's a commonly kept turtle unlike those beautiful mexican musk turtles.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:15 am   Re: What to feed a snapping turtle?

Are we discussing Chelydra serpentina?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:25 am   Re: What to feed a snapping turtle?

steve wrote:Are we discussing Chelydra serpentina?

Yes we are.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:27 am   Re: What to feed a snapping turtle?

They eat almost anything, but commercial turtle food is OK, but they will also like crayfish, insects, worms and fish.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:42 am   Re: What to feed a snapping turtle?

steve wrote:They eat almost anything, but commercial turtle food is OK, but they will also like crayfish, insects, worms and fish.

What size tank do you think is appropriate to house a full grown adult?
SneakySushie

Return to Feeding and Nutrition