Feeding and Nutrition :: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:11 am   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Awesome! Let me know how it goes. I'm also feeding my boy Reptomin (but want to change to another brand when I run out), and freeze dried, but loaded, crickets. So he's getting enough protein from places other than the jello.
With man, some things are possible. With God, all things are possible.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 black lab/springer spaniel/akita, Razzle.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:14 am   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:Awesome! Let me know how it goes. I'm also feeding my boy Reptomin (but want to change to another brand when I run out), and freeze dried, but loaded, crickets. So he's getting enough protein from places other than the jello.

Idk I kinda thought reptomin sucks... I didn't know before but I read the ingredients and I don't like it. Ever tried omega one?
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:17 am   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Nope. He's been on Reptomin all his life. He's been healthy, and that's all I fed him up until recently. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I just know there are better brands out there that I'd like to try. Also, I just found out that I'm allergic to soy, so I'm trying to get rid of anything I can that has soy in it. Even pet foods. I just plain don't want it around.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:06 am   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

This is a great article on commercial turtle foods.

https://theturtleroom.com/blog/2012/04/ ... pplements/
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:12 am   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

What a great article!
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:41 am   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

I can't take credit for finding it but it should be made a sticky in food and nutrition.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:25 am   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Agreed!
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:40 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:Agreed!

But where in the ingredients show that maintenence formula is actually a good herbivore diet?
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:49 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Most pellets are for protein needs not vegetable. They don't make pellets for specific species. My dbt's would love clam, crab and snail pellets but they don't make pellets for just dbt's.. My dbt's don't eat lettuce etc. Well, actually one does but I think it would eat dirt too.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:08 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Kansasslider wrote:Most pellets are for protein needs not vegetable. They don't make pellets for specific species. My dbt's would love clam, crab and snail pellets but they don't make pellets for just dbt's.. My dbt's don't eat lettuce etc. Well, actually one does but I think it would eat dirt too.
They really should make species specific diets....
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:37 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

That would be amazing, but sadly I think that's a bit of a utopian dream. It wouldn't be very cost effective to make pellets for each species. I'm trying to make a jello mix that I can feed daily. We shall see how it goes.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:08 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:That would be amazing, but sadly I think that's a bit of a utopian dream. It wouldn't be very cost effective to make pellets for each species. I'm trying to make a jello mix that I can feed daily. We shall see how it goes.

That sounds good.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:01 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:That would be amazing, but sadly I think that's a bit of a utopian dream. It wouldn't be very cost effective to make pellets for each species. I'm trying to make a jello mix that I can feed daily. We shall see how it goes.

A jello shot for daily use should be low in protein. Your right about pellets. Its more cost effective to make a pellet everyone can use. Its up to the owner of said species to supplement their turtles diet.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:10 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

1 found a gelatin that has 1.75 grams of protein per 1/4 of the packet (instead of 2 grams per 1/4) and I'm only using 1 packet instead of two, plus only greens and calcium powder. I have them setting up now, so we'll see if they work without a second packet of gelatin.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:35 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:1 found a gelatin that has 1.75 grams of protein per 1/4 of the packet (instead of 2 grams per 1/4) and I'm only using 1 packet instead of two, plus only greens and calcium powder. I have them setting up now, so we'll see if they work without a second packet of gelatin.

That's good.
SneakySushie

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition