Feeding and Nutrition :: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:58 pm   She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Any greens that they will end up eating? What if I make a natural vegetable juice and let her soak in it. Because I notice they drink water. So they must at some point drink the juice which in turn provide them their intake of vegetables?

I am just afraid of her getting pyramiding and kidney failure or whatever it was.

She nibbles carrots but never swallows... is there anyway to get her to eat her veggies? It's not like a kid that you can force it to eat its veggies by taking away what it likes.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:23 am   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Don't compensate the lack of eating veggies by adding more protein/pellets. Instead of trying something different each day, keep it simple and stick to the plan.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:28 am   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

steve wrote:Don't compensate the lack of eating veggies by adding more protein/pellets. Instead of trying something different each day, keep it simple and stick to the plan.

Oh but what about the fact she won't eat it?
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:09 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Animals, generally, won't let themselves starve if there is food around. Her instincts should eventually tell her to be bold enough to eat. Just make sure the pieces are small enough. Keep at it. I'm in a similar boat with my boy.
With man, some things are possible. With God, all things are possible.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 black lab/springer spaniel/akita, Razzle.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:31 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:Animals, generally, won't let themselves starve if there is food around. Her instincts should eventually tell her to be bold enough to eat. Just make sure the pieces are small enough. Keep at it. I'm in a similar boat with my boy.

So just don't offer her pellets for a while and offer her carrots? Maybe Ill shred the carrots.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:35 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Yes, don't offer pellets for a while. One RES owner I know said 2 weeks... But you can use your own feelings for that. I wouldn't just offer carrots though, as they aren't the most nutritionally dense food. I'm offering my boy red lettuce, dandelion greens, and carrots. Although I just learned he likes carrots, so I might cut those out until he accepts greens. It's like working with a little kid. You can't let them be picky. If they get hungry enough they will eat what is on their plate. So to speak.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:40 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

How old is she, by he way?
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:56 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:How old is she, by he way?

I just got her recently (Them) I have no clue how old either are. The only ages I know is the painted and the musk... How c an I measure the age?
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:29 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

That, sadly, is not a question I can answer. When RES turtles are younger they are primarily carnivores, but as they age they need more greens. My boy, Jade, is 10 years old, but I've just started trying to feed him greens. (I know, bad on me.) Just keep at it and they'll eventually accept. It might help you to gauge how old they are if you can find out how large the species of turtle you have grows. From there you can figure out when they're considered "adults" based on what size they are now. For instance, RES are considered adults when they reach 4-5" for a male... I believe. It's been a while since I looked that up, so my memory could be playing tricks on me.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:30 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:That, sadly, is not a question I can answer. When RES turtles are younger they are primarily carnivores, but as they age they need more greens. My boy, Jade, is 10 years old, but I've just started trying to feed him greens. (I know, bad on me.) Just keep at it and they'll eventually accept. It might help you to gauge how old they are if you can find out how large the species of turtle you have grows. From there you can figure out when they're considered "adults" based on what size they are now. For instance, RES are considered adults when they reach 4-5" for a male... I believe. It's been a while since I looked that up, so my memory could be playing tricks on me.

Hm that's useful information
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:34 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. But, I'm sure with a little digging you'll find the info you seek. Just keep trying with the veggies, no matter what age they are. How big are they/what breed?
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:02 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. But, I'm sure with a little digging you'll find the info you seek. Just keep trying with the veggies, no matter what age they are. How big are they/what breed?

One is a red eared slider/female/5-6inches... the other one is a yellow bellied slider/female/8-9inches.
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:12 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

I could be wrong, but I think both of them would be considered adult. (Sorry if a I am wrong.) Not full grown, but well on their way. Keep up with offering greens. You'll will eventually. (-:
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:28 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

RedEaredJade wrote:I could be wrong, but I think both of them would be considered adult. (Sorry if a I am wrong.) Not full grown, but well on their way. Keep up with offering greens. You'll will eventually. (-:

Okay Ill keep trying tomorrow
SneakySushie

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:42 pm   Re: She eats her own poop but she won't eat a carrot.

Awesome! Let me know how it goes. I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but I have read online about people soaking veggies in tuna water to get turtles to eat them. I haven't done this because the sodium level concerns me, but it's a thought.
1 RES, Jade.
1 calico cat, Sassy.
1 Beta, Quill.
RedEaredJade

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition