Feeding and Nutrition :: Am I overfeeding/underfeeding my RES?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:04 pm   Am I overfeeding/underfeeding my RES?

Photo One.png
Gilbert when I first got him.
Photo One.png (220 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
I got my RES about 7 months ago, and he's been eating his food pellets since, but I don't know now how much I should be feeding him. Every morning, around 6:00 AM, I get home, turn his UV & heat lamp on, and feed him about 10 pellets, then feed him the same amount later around 2:00 PM. At 6:00 PM I turn his lights off & leave. Am I feeding him too much and or too little? What fruits could I feed him? All advice is appreciated. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Photo Two.jpg
Gilbert Today.
Photo Two.jpg (14.31 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
-Sarah
GillsMcBurton

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:52 pm   Re: Am I overfeeding/underfeeding my RES?

You just need to feed him pellets once a day. Turtles don't eat fruit, but red leaf lettuce, red bell pepper, green leaf lettuce, romaine are all good veggies to leave in his tank for him to eat.
One RES named "The Hulk" (named by my kids. Lol ) 4 1/2" SCL
Rescued July 10, 2014 from a waste water treatment facility.
Joddog

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:33 pm   Re: Am I overfeeding/underfeeding my RES?

I would say your overfeeding pellets. Feed the amount that would fit in his head without the neck once a day. Your turtle can have a treat of fruit if you like :-) It might not like red leaf but try to feed it anyway sooner or later it will probably eat it.. You can also try carrots. Read the link below. It will also tell you about feeding fruit.
http://www.redearslider.com/index_nutrition.html
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:24 pm   Re: Am I overfeeding/underfeeding my RES?

Alright, thanks to you both. :)
-Sarah
GillsMcBurton

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:25 am   Re: Am I overfeeding/underfeeding my RES?

I agree that you're overfeeding. I would use even less than the "head amount" if you feed him pellets everyday.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition