Feeding and Nutrition :: Hikari Turtle Food

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:28 pm   Hikari Turtle Food

What do you guys think of Hikari Turtle food? It was suggested to me by another turtle owner because of its bio properties. But I was curious how it stacked up nutritionally to other turtle foods such as Reptomin or others. I'm not sure what to look for in turtle food in terms of nutritional properties so any help would be great!
Rickiew04

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:22 am   Re: Hikari Turtle Food

Both the traditional Hikari and the Saki-Hikari are fantastic, in my opinion. I prefer the Saki-Hikari because it's easier to buy in bulk, and it's always in my rotation. Please know that the microbes in the food aren't meant to stay in the stomach; they come out with the poop and continue breaking down waste to compete with bad bacteria. That's why Saki-Hikari can make a valid claim to keeping water cleaner than the average pellet brand. I don't usually use the three-pellet version; but the nutritional value is just as good. The only problem is the risk that your turtle(s) may not like one or more of the pellet varieties in that pack, which technically minimizes your investment in the food.

Some other very good pellets are Mazuri and Omega One. Just remember that pellets are an every-other-day food for bigger turtles, and that greens and other veggies should be an every day offering.

As they grow older, turtles need less and less protein and more plant matter. That's why I also like to use Zoo Med pellets, which are 25% protein. All pellets should be paired with cuttle bone for calcium, and some source of Vitamin D3 (i.e., UVB lighting and D3-containing food) to absorb that calcium.

With regard to nutritional content, you're looking for Vitamin A, Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and calcium (if I'm missing anything important, somebody please let me know--but as far as I'm remembering, those are the basic nutrients you want). Spirulina gets you bonus points. If you look at the guaranteed analysis (GA), try to avoid protein content over 43% or so. Vitamin E can also be offered via wheat germ pellets (also made by Hikari), and it helps keep their skin healthy and speed up shedding.

Long story short...When in doubt about nutritional content, just look up the ingredients/GAs of high-quality recommended foods like the ones mentioned above. You'll start to see common ingredient patterns.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:20 pm   Re: Hikari Turtle Food

i love hikari.
1 red eared slider
1 mutt
2 minnows
1 ranchu goldfish
3 sarassa comets
1 dojo loach?
3 zebra danios
1 betta
3 white clouds