Feeding and Nutrition :: RES won't eat

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:01 pm   RES won't eat

I have a RES she got to cool and quit eating. We realized what was wrong and corrected it and got her Temp where it should be. water 75 and basking 90. She has stopped excessive basking and is more active but still won't eat. for about a week now. ???
Sonya

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:57 am   Re: RES won't eat

How cold did it get? Any other symptoms? What kind of food have you tried?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:07 pm   Re: RES won't eat

Same food she was eating before she quit (ReptoMin floating food sticks) she would let us feed her by hand and would eat 4 to 6 sticks. Temp was down to about 60f. No other symptoms, she is active and when I offer her food she just stares at it for a min. and then turns away.
Sonya

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:24 pm   Re: RES won't eat

How long was she cool for? I'd try different foods, even some live prey.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:33 pm   Re: RES won't eat

I posted yesterday but it dosn't show here. She was cool for about a week. She now seems to be foaming at the mouth. She is making little bubbles. What kind of live food can I give her? I see they like romaine lettuce, what about Kale?
Sonya

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:40 pm   Re: RES won't eat

Bubbles from the mouth could be a sign of a respiratory disease, which may require a vet visit. That could also be a reason for the loss of appetite. Is her activity level still good?

As to food, kale is on the list of moderate, but not regular, plant foods.

http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html

However, if she's not eating pellets, you may have little luck with kale. My turtle is a pig, but hates kale.

You can try soaking some pellets in the water from a can of tuna. That should make them much more tempting. As Steve mentioned, live prey is also a possibility.

Even more than a week without food for a healthy adult RES shouldn't be a problem.

We're there any other changes besides the heater going out? Did you recently open a new container of pellets? What is the substrate? There are reports of RES eating aquarium gravel, which can cause problems.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:18 am   Re: RES won't eat

No other changes, Tried live moth nothing will try tuna. no gravel just got aquarium with heat lamp and will have to get filter. She was left on our door step and we are not setup well She is in a container18X20 8" deep with rocks and glass pebbles. She has about 3' water with rocks she can clime up on. We would like to find her a good home as we can't afford things like vet's and filters and such. (Old folks on SS) she has grown to over twice has big as when we got her. 4" now. Not making bubbles now, but getting less active.
Sonya

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:21 am   Re: RES won't eat

And Yes it was a new container of pellets.
Sonya

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:41 am   Re: RES won't eat

For the most part, it seems like you're doing alright. Surrendering her to a vet or organization is an option, though it may take some time to find an available home. Rosy Red Minnows are cheap... around 10-15¢ here. Get a couple, hold it by the tail and let it wiggle in front of her face. Hopefully the tuna will work before it comes to that. You might also need to recheck temperatures, depending on your thermometer. The digital probes are notoriously inaccurate (if you're using that type).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:40 am   Re: RES won't eat

I'll get minnows and I'm using an infrared thermometer. Thanks
Sonya

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:59 am   Re: RES won't eat

This Mornin She took a pellet but was having trouble getting it down.
Sonya

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:55 pm   Re: RES won't eat

Maybe presoak it with the tuna water?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:38 pm   Re: RES won't eat

Must have been because it was dry She just ate another one that had been soaking with no problem. WoooHooo today we will set up her Aquarium. Thanks for every thing.
Sonya

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:27 pm   Re: RES won't eat

Great to hear, good luck!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:25 pm   Re: RES won't eat

Update on Terra the turtle that wouldn't eat, She has become quite the little piggy and will eat most any thing. Thanks for all the help! and she loves her new aquarium. Guna need a bigger one soon I'm sure. ;-)
Sonya

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition