Feeding and Nutrition :: first separate tank feeding

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:53 pm   first separate tank feeding

She just got a new tank and I am not trying to muck it up with tuna, her staple (can't wait 'til she grows more vegetarian with age).

I think it went well. I dropped a few leftover lettuce and pellets in the main tank.

I'm not trying to change this heavy, large tank with excessive frequency. I just got it for her today and already changed the water once within an hour because of excessive pooping (nerves). She's never pooped in front of me, and I was amazed by the way she shat! So I had to change the water. It would be tragic to have a brand new tank with more than usual nerve poop (nervous thing).

So lots of change in one day. She's adjusting. The feeding was a bit utilitarian but practical. Off to get an extension cord to get the heater going. I say she's a trooper for enduring such change in one day! :msgreen: :msgreen: :msgreen:

Do you have a separate container just for feedings? How long do the feedings last? I'm sure George will get used to this...until the next upgrade, LOL. I think a clamp on lamp will be preferable to the full lid lighting system she has now...

Thanks for reading and hope to read your experiences!
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:33 am   Re: first separate tank feeding

I feed in tank. Pellets,fresh fish,krill etc. I clean the tank every weekend with a syphon and do a 50% water change. I clean the filter once a month. I have had no problems feeding in tank.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:48 pm   Re: first separate tank feeding

More reason to stop using tuna. Is it me, or do turtles always poop 5 minutes after being placed into a clean aquarium?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:26 pm   Re: first separate tank feeding

steve wrote:More reason to stop using tuna. Is it me, or do turtles always poop 5 minutes after being placed into a clean aquarium?

LOL! She became a pooping machine! Truly remarkable!

I need to find some other staple besides tuna ASAP... :cry:
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:40 pm   Re: first separate tank feeding

Try tough love for a few days. Give him like 15 minutes then net it out.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:01 am   Re: first separate tank feeding

...net it out? What's that?

I had to feed her in the tank last night. NOT in the mood for the whole separate container routine last night. Mostly lettuce and pellets with a pinch of tuna (gradually diminishing; in fact, what I have left I'm throwing out because it smells funny).
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:17 pm   Re: first separate tank feeding

Net out uneaten food, especially the stuff that breaks apart easily (pellets, tuna). Veggie clips do work, I'd give it a try if you haven't yet.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition