Feeding and Nutrition :: pond snails

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:11 am   pond snails

I have read that pond snails shouldn't be given to turtles because of the high amount of diseases they carry from the wild. Now just IF I grow pond snails myself, never coming into contact with the wild, then could i give my turtles some snail. I would like to give them snails because the snail provides protein at the same time giving them calcium from the shell. (becasue my tries with cuttlebone arent so great)
If i can give them snails i grew myself, any tips on how to grow them properly?
datturtlelover0115

Post Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:16 am   Re: pond snails

I think it depends on the breed/species type. As with most live prey, we keep it a minimum since there are slight risks.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:07 pm   Re: pond snails

dat,

I feed my RES Ramshorn snails two or three times a week. I got them from a live aquatic fish/animal/snail/whatever store on line. I think I paid $6 for 25 of them and those 25 have already made lots of baby snails for me. From what I researched, snails are a nutrtious protien for a RES and their shell is full of calcium. I don't give Thor a cuttlebone. Between Ramshorn snail shells and dandelions he get all the calcium he needs. When feeding Thor the snails I crush up the shell a bit just to make sure a whole snail doesn't get caught in Thor's throat

btw, I don't know if all the above info applies to Pond snails or not.
tjurhs

Return to Feeding and Nutrition