Feeding and Nutrition :: Bootlegged turtle products?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:20 pm   Bootlegged turtle products?

I just notice I own a bootlegged turtle stick food from NUTRAFIN

While exploring online I saw NUTRAFIN packaged the turtle food differently in petco.com

Compare http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx? ... lyID=5094&
with my NUTRAFIN turtle sticks I bought.

Gordon89

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:00 pm   

At first I thought maybe the mfgr just changed the packaging (they sometimes do), but then I noticed the area you highlighted and the fact that the container said "Made in China." Perhaps the mfgr has licensed the making of the pellets to a co. in China (cos. try to cut costs anyway they can)? I know the carbon packs for the AquaClear filters I buy are sometimes made in China and sometimes made in Italy (the latter are better).

When I used to buy Nutrafin, it was the container that's in the link to Petco's product. Looking at the container above that you have, I see what appear to be some grammatical errors/typos(?), and the second capital T in the word Turtle (TurTle) looks bizarre. But what's really noticable is the pellets--the Nutrafin pellets I used to buy were pinkish, not green/gray like the ones above.

Where did you buy your pellets? If you bought them in a store, where are you located?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:08 pm   

Just was reminded that you buy from a street vendor. Perhaps they are bootlegged.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:33 pm   

Umm... You said the pellets you bought are pinkish, not green/gray? I recently bought reptoMin stick food came in with greenish color, but the smell is less denser compare to the bootlegged food.

P.S. the worst thing I encountered one of my cousins turtle who also feed her turtle with the bootlegged product. However, I heard her said her turtle enjoy it. What a freak of nature guys XD
Gordon89

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:26 pm   

Turtles will eat almost anything. They don't discriminate between bootlegged and the real thing. What are the ingredients in the Nutrafin you bought?

Yes, the Nutrafin I used to use was more of a pink/pinkish tan color.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:08 pm   

My turtles also came with these pellets. Physically, they seem very similar to Baby Reptomin, though more greyish is color. Who knows what is actually in there...
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:25 pm   

In the bootlegged food I saw there is something say "excretive latex"
Gordon89

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:40 pm   

Are you sure that's what is on the packaging? Latex is a form of rubber, and I have no idea that excretive means in this context...
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:50 pm   

Since that food is fake, you should probably just throw it away. Consider how inexpensive that amount of food is... it just shows you what people will do to maximize their profits.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:08 pm   

I'm sure the excretive latex helps the turtle excrete what can't be extract from the turtle's body. But my cousin's turtle eats it, and it is fine in my view.
Gordon89

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:08 am   

Perhaps your cousin will appreciate some genuine Nutrafin?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition