Feeding and Nutrition :: Donnie barely eating

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:46 am   Donnie barely eating

Recently my turtle Donnie has barely been eating. He just looks at his pellets and turnip greens as if they are decoration. Sometimes he will get a pellet in his mouth and then spit it back out. Occasionally he will eat a few but there's a lot of waste pellets and he's never not finished his food. He will eat dried shrimp and krill with no issue. Any suggestions?
fryman86

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:23 pm   Re: Donnie barely eating

Any other symptoms? What's the water temperatures? I'd try different pellets / veggies and maybe even some live prey.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:41 pm   Re: Donnie barely eating

Nothing else is really out of the ordinary. He swims over and is attentive when I approach and his eyes are clear and bright but he doesn't go wild like he used to when he'd see the pellet container. I actually just switched pellets because of the same behavior with the brand he's eaten for years. He was without his UV bulb for awhile as I thought I had a spare but then had to buy another when it blew out. Since the UV was replaced his shell and skin have been shedding but that's nothing new. His water is clear except for the soggy pellet bits I have to scoop out. I don't think he's sick because he will eat the mini krill, he's just never been picky, he'd eat a cow if you could get it in the water and then suddenly he started being choosy.
fryman86

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:51 pm   Re: Donnie barely eating

Just continue to offer food as normal but keep a close eye on any other changes/symptoms.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition