Feeding and Nutrition :: Shelled Hemp Seed

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:56 pm   Shelled Hemp Seed

I recently got my first RES about 2-3 weeks ago. She(?) is maybe 1 1/2 in. shell length. I had a big bag of shelled hemp seeds that I hadn't gotten around to eating, and since hemp seed is literally the most nutritious food source (for humans) known to man, I decided to try feeding it to her. She's very shy and doesn't like to eat in front of me, but I caught her devouring one seed quite enthusiastically. I also have her on Hikari Turtle Sticks. I didn't realize they had artificial dyes in them, so I later bought some Zoomed Natural Aquatic Turtle Food (Hatchling formula.) I'm waiting to switch until the old food (Hikari) runs out. I haven't caught her eating the Turtle Sticks yet, but I assume she is eating them in addition to the seeds.

I know she's eating enough because I see her defecate now and then. I just wondered if anyone had tried hemp seed or either of the turtle food brands, or if anyone had any other input, since I am completely new to this.
Caito Jones

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:45 am   Re: Shelled Hemp Seed

Seeds in general are a do-not-feed item for turtles. I'd get some Omega One Juvenile Turtle Pellets for your RES. If you want, mix in a little of the Hikari and ZooMed. Defecating is not really a measure of "they are getting enough". Give a little less than amount you think would fit into her head (as if it were empty) as a daily allowance.

Welcome to the forum!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition