Feeding and Nutrition :: New to RES

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:24 pm   New to RES

Hi guys! I'm new to RES and to this forum! So glad to have found this forum!

A month ago, I rescued my little Terrie from a pet shop after seeing him being chased after by the larger resident RES and poor Terrie even have the tip of his tail nipped off. He is doing well with me now. :) :)

He is still a baby, around 1.5 inches long and I feed him primarily with Reptomin Baby Pallets, alternate days of raw fish and shrimp meat, bits frozen blood worm and fresh vegetables and cuttlebone in his tank daily.

He does not take to his vege readily, but I'm glad to see little bite marks on them. I guess he eats the veg when we are not looking. Yesterday, I threw in a cooked corn kernel and he devour it like i've never seen him eat before. Is it ok to feed corn?

Also,i would like to know, is it ok to try to handfeed him? will he try to take off our fingers when he is larger? Or am I "creating a bond" with him now? He does swim up now when he see me and take food off my hands... its too cute to wanna stop.. :P
Terrormum

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:13 pm   Re: New to RES

Hi, I'm new to turtle keeping and this forum. From all the research I have done it sounds like you are doing an excellent job. I have two tiny map turtles and they both will come up and take a tiny cricket from my hand. You are right - they are soo darn cute. Neither of mine will take any lettuce yet and they don't seem to pay no mind to the cuttlebone.

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to learning more from the experts at this site.
L.West

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:00 pm   Re: New to RES

Welcome to the forum! It's normal for hatchlings to be more carnivorous. I'd lay off the corn, and try carrots. Also monitor how much protein he is getting... pellets, fish especially. Be a bit conservative... growing too fast can cause a lot of health issues.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:20 am   Re: New to RES

Thanks for the reply.

Carrot it shall be!

Yes, this forum is so informative. I'm a little surprise to see so many people into RES.

I grew up thinking RES meant to be in plain boring container with water barely touching their shell. Totally blew me away now!
Terrormum

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:41 am   Re: New to RES

Welcome to the forum!

My turtle swims up and takes food from my hand, i'd be careful. They are not always smart enough to know where the food ends and your fingers begin!
devilduck

Return to Feeding and Nutrition