Feeding and Nutrition :: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:10 pm   3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

Hey!
I am New to this forum and I am sorry if this subject is posted several times! I would be thankful if you'll help out!
My male RES is 3 month old with a shell length of 2.25 inch. He is healthy and active!
To mention, the rest of the setup is perfect.
The problem is that he only eats pellets. I don't feed him any other non-veg stuff. I really want him to start eating veggies but does not take interest in any! He'll nibble at them and throw it out. Even in fruits, he just has grapes occasionally.
I tried lettuce, cilantro, carrots, tomato, collard but none works.
I want to know is this the right age to force them to eat veggies. My friend's couple eats almost anything and they are of the same age. I tried the tough love but it doesnt work.
Please help. Detail would be appreciated
Samkit

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:45 am   Re: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

Are you sure of that age? 3 months and 2.5" seems unlikely.

As to veggies for a turtle hooked on pellets, check out turtle Jell-O shots.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17486
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:34 am   Re: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

I m sorry, its 2 inch!
Samkit

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:04 pm   Re: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

Are 10 pellets per day for a 3 month old turtle enough? Protein is 35%. And the brand is Taiyo
Samkit

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:13 pm   Re: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

That's probably too much. The general recommendation is the amount of pellets that would fill your turtle's head each day when they are young and then eventually that much every other day as they get older.

2" to 2.5" is quite large for 3 months old. You are probably feeding too much, which can lead to shell pyramiding and possibly other health issues.

Can you post a pic?

Check out the pellet section of the main site:

http://www.redearslider.com/pellets.html
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:44 am   Re: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

Yeah i completely agree with you! He seems to grow very rapidly! Please take a look
The main concern is that he constantly keeps begging for food irrespective of me feeding or not.
because of this he basks less often.
IMG_20140407_185410.jpg

I checked out the section concerning the pellets. Just one quick thing, the amount of pellets that fits in the head should be for 'in a day' right?
I've also read at many places that we should feed out turtles as much as they eat in 15-20 min. Is it true?
Samkit

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:22 pm   Re: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

Try using a veggie clip.

Yes, feed pellets once a day. The amount that fits in the head should be the max, a little less is likely better. Don't base it on how much they can eat in a time frame.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:05 pm   Re: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

I'm sorry if I came across strong regarding the size and age. Your turtles growth looks good.

It's actually a confusion of terms. When we talk about turtle length, we measure the shell from front to back with a straight ruler. See http://www.redearslider.com/anatomy.html

From that picture, you are including the head and tail, which is actually how any same person who hadn't been hanging out in turtle forums would measure a turtle. :)

At that size and age, you shouldn't worry too much if there isn't much interest in veggies. You should cut back on the pellets. You should continue to offer some lettuce with the understanding that you'll be pulling it out uneaten.

Maybe put lettuce in in the morning and feed pellets in the evening. One day your turtle may take a bite. Eventually, it will figure out it is food.

Try different kinds. (I used to steal from my wife's spring salad mix.) Tobi is a pig, but there are some kinds she will not touch.

EDIT: And, yes pretty much all turtles beg. In the wild, they are going to eat everything they can get. But, some days they aren't going to find anything. Plus, they will be burning up much more energy seeking that food and avoiding being food themselves. If we give them a lot, they'll eat it, but they aren't using up as much energy and they aren't occasionally going without.

Finally, very cute turtle!
Tobi a RES born in 2012
ljapa

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:31 pm   Re: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

Hey! You were not wrong. I knew that we should measure only the shell that too with a straight ruler. And that shell is 2.25 inch.
When I first bought him, he was the size of a coin. And its been 70 odd days. He also shed the skin and the growth margins indicate that there is soon going to be scute shedding.
I've read that if water temperature is warm(above 80f), then the growth is unnaturally fast.
Regarding the lettuce, I think that's the best option currently. Also I'll reduce my pellets from 10 per day to 6.
One thing, if I keep the lettuce for compete day for suppose a week, then will the leaf start rotting?
Samkit

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:30 pm   Re: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

I'd toss part of a leaf in each morning and remove anything left after a few hours. Otherwise, it will definitely start to cause water issues.

I am surprised at the turtle size given the head shape.

That's good news on the pellets. And good luck on the transition to some veggies. In the wild at your turtles age, it is going to primarily be eating prey, not vegetables, but at its size in the wild, it would be transitioning to a mixed diet, growing ever more vegetarian as it ages.

Keep us updated on how it goes.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
ljapa

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:40 am   Re: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

Thank you Ijapa and Steve. I'll definitely follow your advice and get back as soon as possible.
I get what you're trying to say about the head, but let me tell you, it's the way the picture was clicked. Instead he has a very long neck and a proportionate head.
Samkit

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:31 am   Re: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

@ljapa-my turtle has started eating lettuce and it is a sigh of relief. In a whole day,he finishes 2 coin sized pieces of lettuce. I hope he starts eating other things also.
Samkit

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:27 pm   Re: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

And another good news! He eats red leaf lettuce, lettuce and now Carrots too!
Samkit

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:14 pm   Re: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

Great to hear!
Tobi a RES born in 2012
ljapa

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:10 am   Re: 3 month old turtle not eating veggies!

Just an update.
My turtle now eats almost anything that is fed to him.
I am relieved
Samkit

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition