Feeding and Nutrition :: first taste of fish!!

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:43 pm   first taste of fish!!

i just bought 3 rosey's and 3 guppies yesterday for my Elsie, this was her first time probably ever seeing a fish(she was kind of "rescued" by me), and she downed 4 within the first 2 minutes!! it was soooo cute watching her chase after them, she probably never had that much exercise ever!! I think there are 2 guppies left, they're quite small, and fast so she couldn't catch them!! i never thought i'd ever find so much amusement it watching a little turtle!! i can sit and watch her just bask for hours!!!!!!!! lol :D
jaimee

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:12 am   

I remember the first time my turts got fish. It was so much fun to watch them chase. I have never been one to buy live things just so they could be turned into food. I guess I have learned to overlook that. I still don't like to see them eaten...but it goes by quick, lol.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:39 pm   

at what size can RES' start eating rosy red minnows? Mine is about 1.75 inches and i thought that they would still be too big for him to conquer?
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
megcornell
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:29 pm   

You can always get a couple and see how it goes. It pretty much depends on the turtle. The smaller guppies tend to be faster and my turts have trouble catching them. Not sure if the same holds true for the rosies.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:01 am   

If my male RES can't swallow a minnow he wants to eat, he'll cripple the fish (usually a head-bite) then take his time. Not something you want to watch regularly.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:10 am   

watching him eat earth worms is usally more nasty lol
3 turts 2 eastern painted and 1 RES
Andrew7769

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:39 pm   

I'm sure Mr. Turtle would love to chase and eat fish, but I just can't bring myself to do it! I would feel guilty about being a fish murderer! :lol:
He's over 5" now so I know he would have no problem catching them!
tissigirl

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:15 pm   

tissigirl wrote:I'm sure Mr. Turtle would love to chase and eat fish, but I just can't bring myself to do it! I would feel guilty about being a fish murderer! :lol:
He's over 5" now so I know he would have no problem catching them!

Don't worry you aren't alone... lol. My husband has purchased guppies for Koopa once but I couldn't watch. And I haven't gone out and got him any more since then. And other live foods just give me the creeps... :D
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:39 pm   

Bah, they do that in nature, I don't see how it is cruel.
2 RES
Toby and Tuba.
adammaxis

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:46 pm   

Some people don't feed their turtles live fish for philosophical reasons---I've haven't. They don't eat that much live fish in the wild (but will eat just about anything if necessary) and I don't think they're missing much. I will concede that they probably get more exercise trying to catch them, though.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Feeding and Nutrition