Feeding and Nutrition :: Need advice on RES not eating/basking

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:30 pm   Need advice on RES not eating/basking

We've had Tee for 4+ years, and guess she is 5+ years old (shell measures 7 1/2"). She outgrew her last tank, so we purchased a new 40 gallon "breeder" tank for fish (wider & deeper, not as slim as a normal fish tank). We didn't add anything new, and returned all of her usual rock & basking platform. Her shell is shedding scutes, and I know she needs to dry out in order for them to fall off properly. But the problem is, she isn't eating like she usually does, and she isn't basking.
She has been spending all of her time under the basking platform at the bottom of the tank.
We've never had a health problem with her & have always kept her tank spotless or close to it.
She has a "day light blue", 75 watt bulb above the platform, and we've used that type and wattage since day one of bringing her home.

Could the not eating be because she is shedding? This is the second time she has shed and we can't remember if she had the same behavior the last time.
Is there any way to get her to start basking again?

Water temp is maintained at 75*, and checked by a thermometer on the side of the tank.

I feed her large pellets (according to her size) 5-6 every 3 to 4 days, a shrimp ball every 2 weeks & 6-12 feeder fish once a month. This morning I skipped feeding her pellets and gave her a shrimp ball instead. She ate it with no problem.
Tee's mommy

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:23 pm   Re: Need advice on RES not eating/basking

I could just be the seasonal change… it happens to a lot of RES this time of year. I'd consider bumping up the water and basking temps to see if that helps stimulate her appetite.

You might also want to consider adding more veggies to her diet and eliminate or greatly reduce the amount of shrimp/fish she gets.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:44 pm   Re: Need advice on RES not eating/basking

Thanks for the info Steve. We will up the heat level for both and see is that changes her behavior.
Mommy of...

1 dsh: Lavoisier
3 puggles: Angus, Hamish & Dougal
1 RES: Tee
Tee's mommy

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:07 pm   Re: Need advice on RES not eating/basking

Also, new environments seem to make some RES nervous, so it's not unusual for there to be an adjustment period.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition