Feeding and Nutrition :: Bloodworms?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:16 am   Bloodworms?

I have some frozen bloodworms for my RES turtles, I was wondering if them being frozen takes away the nutritional value for the turtles? And if not, and I could feed it to them, how do I do that? It may seem like a stupid question, but I always put them in warm/hot water, but then when I feed the worms, it dirties the water a little.
1.1.0 RES turtles - Stanley & Sheldon
2.0.0 dogs - 3.3.0 cats - 1.1.0 ferrets - 0.0.1 tegu - 0.1.0 skink
0.0.1 scorpion - 1.0.0 leopard gecko - 0.2.17 tarantulas
2.1.4 snakes - 0.0.1 praying mantis - 0.0.1 bearded dragon
tink94

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:23 am   Re: Bloodworms?

Nutritionally, bloodworms don't have much more than protein. They should be a treat, not regular fare.

Melting them before adding is the way I feed them, and yes it makes a mess. I think the stimulation the turtle gets from hunting for the food that goes all over vs eating a floating pellet or lettuce is good for them. I don't think just dropping the frozen block I would be good. You'll still get a mess from some that thaw and drop off. Plus, since turtles are cold blooded, if it would even eat a frozen chunk, I don't think it would be good for it.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:39 am   Re: Bloodworms?

I fatten up the feeder minnows in the tank with bloodworms sometimes. Blood worms seems too small for my turtle to see in the tank.
devilduck

Return to Feeding and Nutrition