Feeding and Nutrition :: can different foods really make your turtle more colorful?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:19 am   can different foods really make your turtle more colorful?

I have seen this in many posts, that foods can effect the color of your turtle. I was wondering what they are. When I got my turtle(who is 4 inches) she really was nt as coorful as the turtles i see i nthe pictures that are posted here. She seems to behave normal and everything, also loves to eat, doenst beg because she is still very shy when people are around. I feed her exo-terra turtle food, which i dont hink is the best, has eaten red bellies(only put 5 in and they are not all gone), got her to eat collard greens and carrots yesterday, and also i feed her gut filled crickets.

Is there anything that anyone seems to use that helps add color, I just want her to be as heathly as possible and i figure that color might have something to do with health.
rtswim400@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:20 am   

No, color has nothing to do with health (unless you can specifically see something wrong with the shell such as shell rot). As RES mature most lose their bright green coloring that they had as hatchlings. Adult RES range in color to almost black to light brown. In rare instances some retain their green coloring as adults.

Certain foods that contain beta carotene will enhance their plastron to an orange-ish tint. Things like Pumpkin, squash and carrots. Just remember not to over feed on particular food, instead they should have a variety of veggies. They will quickly become adjusted to one particular food if it's all that you feed and then they might not be as willing to try new things. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:23 am   

thanks. I also did more lookin gon this site about past posts and found a lot, sorry I did not do this before I posted.
1- 4inch RES: Crash but we call her turtle
rtswim400@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:35 am   

My vet told me that the carrots I am feeding contribute to the orange colour of their plastrons (beta karotine). He said he's never seen anything like it. Guess my girls are prettier than most :lol: Their red 'ears' are quite bright also.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:44 pm   

You can enhance their coloring, but not change it, with certain foods, especially those containing beta carotene as mentioned above. My RES has got long, evil-looking yellow nails, and I'm attributing some of the color to his diet.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:12 am   

Petri's "ears" have gotten more orange since we started feeding him carrots.
fishandcandy

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:10 pm   

My turtles both got bueatiful color as they got healthier.

Both turts (got from different owners, at different times) were sick & not eating well when I got them, and both had very dull shells

Bobbis is a dark green with yellow through it and black. & Squirts is still a little dull. Hers is a light green and she's getting the yellow lines as well.

I really only feed my turts pellets and veggies.

I'll feed them chicken sometimes and every once in awhile tuna. & fruit once a month, at the most. But something changed their color :p
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:39 am   

jenaero wrote:My vet told me that the carrots I am feeding contribute to the orange colour of their plastrons (beta karotine). He said he's never seen anything like it. Guess my girls are prettier than most :lol: Their red 'ears' are quite bright also.

i challenge you to a turtle show-down!
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:48 pm   

My adult RES has always had a lovely dark-copper, shiny shell & orange ears (even when she was 6 inches long). As she has aged & grown, she actually has developed little wrinkles in her orange "ears". It's very cute!
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
industrial_girl_2000

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:12 pm   

lol @ ell
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Return to Feeding and Nutrition