Feeding and Nutrition :: Is any water lily good for red eared sliders?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:57 pm   Is any water lily good for red eared sliders?

From what Ive read water lilies are really good for red eared sliders but I was wondering if it matters what kind of water lily it is. I imagine a good portion of the info I read comes from the States.. Is the water lilies I see everywhere (just normal lilies with the little white flower and the little lily pads) good for them? I live in Ontario (Canada) I was also wondering if anyone knew about a certain plant that grows right along with the lilies in lakes and ponds, it looks a lot like the pictures of (Anacharis?) Ive seen online except like a canada version. Anyone know if thats edible? :)
1 RES (Blue)
paige742698

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:48 pm   Re: Is any water lily good for red eared sliders?

There is a tropical anacharis, which is commonly what is sold in aquarium stores. There is also a temperate version which grows wild in North America. I'm told both are edible.

I can't comment on the water lily question.

Be aware you may end up with other critters on the plants.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:33 pm   Re: Is any water lily good for red eared sliders?

Thanks :) I went and fetched some of the anacharis looking stuff from the nearest river and google helped me figure out that it was in fact Elodea which is called pondweed or waterweed so its all good. He didnt seem to mind it and ate some. Just the lily pads left now, as far as I can see they look like fragrant water lilies... I dont want to feed them to him until I know for sure. With the way he digs in when I give him something to eat, I wouldnt want to risk putting anything inedible with him :P
1 RES (Blue)
paige742698

Return to Feeding and Nutrition