Feeding and Nutrition :: Red Eared Slider eating house centipede?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:23 am   Red Eared Slider eating house centipede?

I have an open-top aquarium for my red eared slider in the basement which tends to get a lot of bugs and insects in the summer and today I noticed a house centipede wandering near the aquarium into the top and my RES saw the centipede and jumped at it and gobbled it up.

Is it okay for RES to eat house centipedes? It ate the entire thing with one bite? This is just to make sure because so far the turtle has been acting fine. My friend also owns a RES and feeds him insects and bugs all the time with no problems.
TurtleDude91

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:27 pm   Re: Red Eared Slider eating house centipede?

I don't think one bug will hurt him or her, but I would not feed household bugs on purpose.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:16 pm   Re: Red Eared Slider eating house centipede?

House centipedes are terrible, I wish my turtles could exterminate them xD

As long as you don't use any pest sprays it's fine, house centipedes are venomous, not poisonous.
3 RES- Sajko, Lajzi, and Nacho
2 Kitty Cats- Lolcat and Bear
Kurtni

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:27 am   Re: Red Eared Slider eating house centipede?

I'd get a screen for that tank.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition