Feeding and Nutrition :: Sal wont eat his feeder fish

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:27 pm   Sal wont eat his feeder fish

Should i feed him on top of having the fish in there if he isnt eating it, or just leave it be? is there something i can do to entice him to see the fish as food, and not friend?
Winters_wonderland

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:38 pm   Re: Sal wont eat his feeder fish

Might not be hungry. How big is he? If he does not eat it, move the fish to a tub and then try putting your turtle to eat it. It could be that the tank set up diffrent.
Turtles:
Dexter (RES)
Shelby (RES - gone and I feel really really bad).
Miracle (Box Turtle - Given to me after Shelby left us).
Orion (Mississippi Map Turtle).
AlexisAwesome

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:51 pm   Re: Sal wont eat his feeder fish

he is 2.5 inches long, and 2 inches wide, give or take
we did get him the tiniest minnow possible. and he was interested in nipping at him while the fish was in the bag adjusting to water, jsut as soon as we let the fish loose in the tank, he stopped caring.

i think he is just lazy.
Winters_wonderland

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:14 pm   Re: Sal wont eat his feeder fish

In the wild, a turtle of that size may not be able to catch minnows. It's definitely eating protein, but it's more likely tadpoles, insect larvae, or small crustaceans.

I had fish with my son's turtle in the 20 gallon tank. She never touched them. Once she moved to a 55 gallon, we added a few more. For months all were fine. One day one was missing. I figured it had died and been eaten. The next day, two more were gone and I moved all the remaining new fish to the refugium. The two that had been with her from the 20 gallon are still with her 10 months later.

At 2.5", your turtle should probably get some vegetables. However, it also needs some protein. Some fish can actually affect the way your turtle deals with thiamine. Feeder fish are good for altering the boredom and providing an alternative meal, but they probably shouldn't have that as the primary food source.

I'd say leave the fish. Some will eventually get eaten. But offer veggies and get some turtle pellets so your turtle gets something.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:07 pm   Re: Sal wont eat his feeder fish

Is he eating his regular food?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition