Feeding and Nutrition :: I need a slap on the wrist.

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:13 pm   I need a slap on the wrist.

I know I am definitely overfeeding my female turtle. I feed her well over twice a day, and well over just five pellets (but she's a big girl!). I feed both my turtles Hikari Turtle Pellets (which have made my turtles beautiful!) and the occasional brine shrimp. Now, though, the pet store didn't have any Hikari this time, so I'm feeding them Wardley Reptile Premium Sticks.

I know I shouldn't, but she begs so much! It's not that her begging is cute or anything, but its too excessive and irritating after a while. My tank is right beside my computer, (I mean, I can't even stretch my left arm out without bumping into the tank) and she scratches and swims against the tank glass. To see that with my peripheral vision for over an hour becomes frustrating, so I just feed her. Lately, though, I've taken to pushing her aside with a pencil or the little net I have to fish them out, and she stops for a while.

Overfeeding hasn't harmed her, however. She's not obese, she has good bowel movements, is VERY energetic, plays with my other turtle in the tank, rests, observes what I'm doing on my computer monitor...I've been doing this for well over a month now.

Really, though, I need advice. Is there anything I can feed her to curb her hunger and behavior that comes along it? Anything I should feed her in particular that would satisfy her appetite without harm? Any advice is really appreciated.

Also, I haven't had fish in the tank since December. Those were the crappy little feeder fish. I've been thinking to buy some other fish or snails to put in there and entertain her...

May 28, 2006
Daemon: Male, 4.2'' - Date Adopted: 06.25.05
Sayre: Female, 5.11'' - Date Adopted: 07.01.05
PaperFeathers

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:27 pm   

Snails are good. Out of the 8 I had my turtle ate 6. I now only have two snails. When my turtle gets hungry he eats one of those along with some ghost shrimp.
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:31 pm   

I've never contemplated giving my turtles snails...how do they eat them? Do they just break the shell?

I'm sure it's a mess, no?

May 28, 2006
PaperFeathers

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:49 pm   

Mine actually eats them out of the shell. I just saw him do this with a baby snail I found. He'll catch onto its shell with his mouth and then use his claws to start ripping out the meaty part of the snail. Once he feels he's killed the snail enough he'll let go and then go after the meaty part he just ripped. He'll eat the meaty part and leave the trap door and the shell. But that's just the way he does it. I can't say what the other turtles will do.
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:21 pm   

you can feed them some veggies :) like lettuce or carrote, they love those.(mine used to hate it but now he's like a little piggie whenever I drop one in) I used to put my turtle tank right beside my desk too, but then I had to move it because it's distracting :( (because I couldn't stop myself looking at him and that I couldn't get any study done :p)

by the way, you mentioned that Hikari turtle food made your turtle beautiful? what do you mean by that? does it promote good color on the turtle or makes the overall appearance pretty? I've always been wanting to try that brand once I nearly get done with my turtle's current food sticks, I trust Hikari food even though it's quite expensive
Pineapple the turtle- pronuced "Ong-lai", meaning"bringing happiness to the family" in my language
8 year-old, 4"

Cheeky the hamster- 1 year 5 month-old, 6 inches
RESCHIU

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:49 pm   

mine murdered my snail, didnt even eat him, just tore the trapdoor off and let him float.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:50 am   

My turtles are right next to my PC also. I can't move without them coming over and begging for food. I just ignore them. They get veggies daily and their pellets every other day. What size/age are your turtles? I'd start offering them veggies (check the stickies for what to feed them) and start ignoring the begging.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:58 am   

Well, I would be to just offer the veggies. Lower in fat, calories, etc. Just gives her something to munch on that is better for her.
Giddy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:53 pm   

PaperFeathers, would you say your RES was getting about 10 sticks a day? That doesn't sound like overfeeding to me...
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:36 pm   

daredevilgirl013 wrote:Mine actually eats them out of the shell. I just saw him do this with a baby snail I found. He'll catch onto its shell with his mouth and then use his claws to start ripping out the meaty part of the snail. Once he feels he's killed the snail enough he'll let go and then go after the meaty part he just ripped. He'll eat the meaty part and leave the trap door and the shell. But that's just the way he does it. I can't say what the other turtles will do.

That sounds...rather brutal. Eep. My turtles, knowing them, would make a mess out of it. Anyway, I've never seen snails being sold. I'll lay off 'em for now.

RESCHIU wrote:you can feed them some veggies like lettuce or carrote, they love those.(mine used to hate it but now he's like a little piggie whenever I drop one in) I used to put my turtle tank right beside my desk too, but then I had to move it because it's distracting (because I couldn't stop myself looking at him and that I couldn't get any study done :p)

I enjoy them right next to my PC. They enjoy it too; I don't know why, but my turtles occasionally float on their plants and watch my monitor when I'm on. Like right now.

RESCHIU wrote:by the way, you mentioned that Hikari turtle food made your turtle beautiful? what do you mean by that? does it promote good color on the turtle or makes the overall appearance pretty? I've always been wanting to try that brand once I nearly get done with my turtle's current food sticks, I trust Hikari food even though it's quite expensive

When I began feeding them the sticks and continued the diet, my turtles got thicker and more colourful, seemed to liven up more, their skin got really nice and they shed perfectly...that's only a few things! Those pellets are formulated fantastically.
It is a bit expensive, but I would rather feed my pets quality things that promote good health, then cheap food that doesn't do much for them.

ellman605 wrote:mine murdered my snail, didnt even eat him, just tore the trapdoor off and let him float.

So the snail drowned, pretty much? Was it an aquatic snail?

cam722 wrote:My turtles are right next to my PC also. I can't move without them coming over and begging for food. I just ignore them. They get veggies daily and their pellets every other day.

I try my best to ignore my turtle, too, but she's really persistant. As I said, it bothers me. Rather gets me anxious when she's swimming up against the tank glass.

cam722 wrote:What size/age are your turtles? I'd start offering them veggies (check the stickies for what to feed them) and start ignoring the begging.

My turtles' size is in my signature, but they're each under a year old. I've offered veggies, and they don't seem to like it. Recently, I put a sliver of a chunk of banana in there for them, and the female ate it. She seemed displeased with it and stared me down for the rest of the day.
I gave them a blueberry once, but they only nipped it twice. Same thing with a piece of a strawberry.
Romaine lettuce, I haven't tried it in a while...I'll give it a shot again.

Giddy wrote:Well, I would be to just offer the veggies. Lower in fat, calories, etc. Just gives her something to munch on that is better for her.

Dunno if they'll like the veggies or not, though.... : / As I said to cam, I'll definetly look into it.

steve wrote:PaperFeathers, would you say your RES was getting about 10 sticks a day? That doesn't sound like overfeeding to me...

10 sticks daily?! Well over that. I'd give my female turtle 10 - 15 pellets a feeding session, feeding them two to three times a day. (The third time, I'd just drop about 8 pellets into the tank for both turtles to share.) Though, now that I switched to the Wardley sticks, neither of the turtles beg much.

May 28, 2006
PaperFeathers

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:01 pm   

Regarding the Hikari sticks--I used to feed them to my RES when I lived in Tokyo, and recently bought some and have been giving them occasionally to my eastern painteds. The pellets are pink, green and tan, each color is supposed to promote a particular function. Their protein content is 40%, a bit on the high side (but regular Reptomin is a bit higher), so 10 a day is definitely too much (the EPs get three each, one of each color, when they do get them).

Big Al's, where I ordered them from, sells them for $1.79 a package, which compares very favorably to the $5.79+ they're sold at at Petsmart. If you're ever ordering from them, you might include a package or two in the order. :)

Unless Wardley's has changed their formula, they're not considered to be the best pellet to have as the main pellet in the diet.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:34 pm   

If you don't offer the pellets each day and instead rotate with one day offering veggies..they will probably start eating veggies.
Giddy

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:55 pm   

marisa wrote:Regarding the Hikari sticks--I used to feed them to my RES when I lived in Tokyo, and recently bought some and have been giving them occasionally to my eastern painteds. The pellets are pink, green and tan, each color is supposed to promote a particular function. Their protein content is 40%, a bit on the high side (but regular Reptomin is a bit higher), so 10 a day is definitely too much (the EPs get three each, one of each color, when they do get them).

Big Al's, where I ordered them from, sells them for $1.79 a package, which compares very favorably to the $5.79+ they're sold at at Petsmart. If you're ever ordering from them, you might include a package or two in the order. :)

Unless Wardley's has changed their formula, they're not considered to be the best pellet to have as the main pellet in the diet.

I only fed them about five to eight of the tan pellets a day, and the rest, I'd use the pink and green pellets. I did also notice the protein was a tad high on the staple diet tan pellets.

$1.79 a package?! I paid about $3.79 for mine! I'll really look into ordering them from Big Al's...

Wardley's isn't my favorite brand whatsoever. The ingredients they use i their pellets are wayyy too high in protein. Don't like 'em at all...but they actually did change their formula a bit -- now it's fortified with more calcium.

Giddy wrote:If you don't offer the pellets each day and instead rotate with one day offering veggies..they will probably start eating veggies.

True...I am going to go get some fish over at PetsMart tomorrow, though. I'll see if I can get some anacharis along with veggies and such while I'm at it.

May 28, 2006
PaperFeathers

Return to Feeding and Nutrition