Feeding and Nutrition :: how to store anacharis...any ideas

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:55 am   how to store anacharis...any ideas

Well since I got ten bunches of the stuff I'm left with a lot to store somewhere. Right now the anacharis is in a big bucket filled with water and it's sitting in the bathroom to get some sun. Any ideas on what to do with it as I don't think everyone appreciates the stuff being in the bathroom....
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:07 am   

I keep mine in a critter keeper in my kitchen by the window. Keeps pretty well that way as long as it's rinsed first.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:17 pm   

I have mine in a small tank where there's good light. It helps to have some circulation in the water as well.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:54 pm   

Do you guys put any gravel in the bottom with them or just let them float around?

I think I found a spot for them but they won't be in a clear container, they'll be in a rubbermaid container that is blue so I'm trying to get a spot where the sun can come down in on them. Just gotta ok it with the parents first or else I may get yelled at for rearranging the house....
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:12 pm   

I just let mine float in a spare container with a light and filter. Not that it lasted long, the little pigs devoured it as soon as it was in the tank. Didn't have as much luck with the spare water hyacyinths though. :(
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:59 pm   

These guys take about a week to go through two bunches so I'm hoping to let some of this stuff grow on it's own. I'll let it float as I really don't have the gravel (unless I go outside) to put into it. I was just wondering if it was necessary and since it isn't I'm glad! Less money to spend. And I already have two spare filters from Michelangelo's old set up so we're good to go!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:07 pm   

I've been told that the strands will root better if anchored in gravel. I actually bought some pea gravel do do this with some of the strands I have, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:10 pm   

It isn't in gravel. I only had room to put the stuff in buckets of water on the plant stand as there was really no room for a big rubbermaid container and to have a filter in it and everything else. At least it is getting sunlight and has water. If it doesn't grow that's ok too.
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:39 pm   

It should be OK as long as it has light and you keep the water clean. I'm not going to try the gravel until spring and I can keep it outside.
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Feeding and Nutrition