Feeding and Nutrition :: Guppies

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:43 am   Guppies

Ok i was just wondering... so u buy the fish and then put them in the tank. slowly the turtles take bites? are guppies cheap? i heard chicken is a good idea, but could guppies replace this? thanks for the help in advance
Glencoe

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:27 am   

Guppies are cheap, they are like 35 cents a piece here. My turtle hasn't eatten any of them, so now my guppies are reproducing. But thanks to the guppies multiplying I'm going to sell them to my cousin for his fish to eat.
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:13 am   

Boiled chicken is usually considered as a rare treat or to help entice a turtle to eat if they haven't been eating. Guppies and other feeders are used to supplement a well balanced diet, therefore they don't have to be offered but occasionally. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:13 pm   

can guppies carry disease? u just plop them into the tank? what about when u have to clean ur tank?
Glencoe

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:16 pm   

Any feeder animal can carry parasites but I've never had a problem w/fish. The guppies in my tank can survive a 90%water change. I just leave them in the tank and try not to suck them up while cleaning.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:25 pm   

ah ok. thanks!! :)
Glencoe

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:27 pm   

Dang guppies for .35$. That's kinda steep. They're 10 cents here.

But yeah guppies are great they provide your turtles with excercise and you w/ entertainment. Not to mention like said before they multiply like crazy too. And you never have to feed them!
Nicole
Hide and Seek are almost 4.5" each
1 Bearded Dragon named Ben :)
kneecole

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:25 pm   

Are they just called guppies? at different stores, some people act like they don't know what I'm talking about.
blaydes

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:39 am   

there are fancy guppies and feeder guppies...you want the feeders. rosy red minnows work too!
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:31 pm   

i pay 78 cents for a dozen. my turtle eats them up like they're candy. my turtle loves live food.
jeggy

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:32 pm   

How long does it take for guppies to reproduce and make babies that are swimming around?
DOOMSTACHE

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:53 pm   

I get my feeder fish for $0.12 a piece. I've never had any reproduce, though.

And so far out of my turtle's first batch of the season, he still has them all, and he's only been able to nip off a few tails.
Mnuemonix

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:01 pm   

guppies are livebearers which means the guppy females get pregnant and then the babies come out alive they dont lay eggs so alot of time i have gotten guppies for my fish and have had new guppies born the same day i got them it all depends
3 turts 2 eastern painted and 1 RES
Andrew7769

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:03 pm   

i just bought some guppies today for him for the first time and i already saw him eat one. right now he doesn't realize that six of them are piled up in a corner.
DOOMSTACHE

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:35 pm   

DOOMSTACHE wrote:i just bought some guppies today for him for the first time and i already saw him eat one. right now he doesn't realize that six of them are piled up in a corner.

:lol:
My fish do the same thing all the time...Where ever the turtle is, the rest of them cower in the opposite corner....And then a couple of them get brave and day by day get a little closer....And then they get ate.

Maybe that's his plan....Gain their trust, and then crush them. :lol:
Mnuemonix

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition