Feeding and Nutrition :: Guppies

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:58 pm   

It really isn't that hard. When I first started, I went with the little breeder box to keep the fry safe, but I soon discovered it really wasn't necessary. Mine are in a 30 gallon tank and there are plenty of hiding places among plants and river rocks. 10 gallons is actually enough, but I also have a large snail, and large pleco so they needed the extra room.

I don't do anything special for them. Keep the water clean, and feed them once a day. They thrive on their own.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:21 am   

Hmmm... It's worth a try... I think I have a little plastic 10 gallon tank out in the garage... Do you have a filter for them? Or can you get away with just partial water changes?

*edit* It's only 2 gallon (ish), but that's better than a fish bowl ;)
BullDog

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:34 am   

I have a filter because I also have the snail and pleco with huge amounts of waste. For the fish, you can probably get by with partial water changes, or even a cheap filter from walmart. With two gallons, it will be easy to overpopulate your tank.
Missi

missibsu

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:30 pm   

I found my old fluval 1 filter in the tank ^__^
How many guppies would be considered over populated for 2 gallons? Right now I've got 3, but one of them is pregnant. I read the frys take 6 months to fully mature.

Thanks for being so helpful! I've never really had fish (besides some pet feeder goldfish when I was little) So I don't know much about care of fishies...

:oops: Edit: Once again the reputation of the knowledge of the pet shop staff precedes them... The fish I got are white cloud minnows, not guppies :oops: But I'm going to go to one of the more reputable shops and maybe get some guppies... You've intrigued me now!!! :D
BullDog

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:46 pm   

LOL! I don't know anything about breeding minnows, although it sounds like they have it taken care of! I really don't know the limits on the amount of fish per gallon. I have never raised fish before either, just started with the guppies. I, too, had the goldfish when I was younger...princes William and Harry. Those were the days, lol. They didn't last too long, and died in the middle of winter. I insisted that they needed proper burial and so they were placed in the freezer until spring. Only problem was, I forgot about them. We found them later that summer. Mom was not too happy with me.
Missi

missibsu

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:24 pm   

I did a little research, and the minnows lay eggs (not live birth) 2-4 weeks after being fertilzed, and then the eggs hatch in a couple days. I figured I'd wait about a week, see if theres any eggs, and if not, Ralph gets a snack :P
My goldfish were Sparky and (I forget the other's name) And they lasted me at least a year! (Maybe even two!) Sparky was agressive and we had to separate the two. :lol: They also had a proper burial after being frozen a while ;) Ahhhhh, simpler times, eh?
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
BullDog

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:05 am   

I've had goldfish, minnows and guppies but they have never reproduced. I had received a couple of pregnant guppies... but I'm wasn't trying to breed them anyway.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:27 pm   

How do you breed guppies? I have a 10 gallon tank ready to go for them...
Cooter: 6.75 inches
Beefcake: 5 inches
TurtleBot

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:03 pm   

I'm going to try tossing a bunch into the pond and letting them go their own way.
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:02 am   

That's really all you have to do. Make sure you have males and females...DUH! lol. Actually, I read somewhere that the ratio should be about 5 females per 1 male. However, after mine have been breeding for awhile it has become hard to maintain that ratio. As long as you leave them alone, they will breed. Nothing to it. I do filter the water and keep it heated at about 78F. There are also plants for the babies to hide in. I tried the breeding containers, but it was too much work.
Missi

missibsu

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:37 pm   

How long are there breeding cyles? How many new babies will you have in x amount of time?
TurtleBot

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:44 pm   

Do you need an air pump for the Rosey Reds? I heard they can only survive a day without oxygen in their water.
Kels
samandnelly

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:33 pm   

TurtleBot wrote:How long are there breeding cyles? How many new babies will you have in x amount of time?
TurtleBot

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:38 pm   

After about 20 days or so, the female(s) should be moved to a bare-bottomed breeder tank of 2.5 gallons to 5 gallons in size in order to receive the fry. While the gestation period is often about 28 days, it can range from 21 to roughly 40. This is dependent on a number of factors such as temperature and genetics.

That quote was taken from http://guppyplace.tripod.com/Breeding.html

That being said, mine don't get moved...
Missi

missibsu

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:39 pm   

I did a bit of research for guppies, and from frys they are fully mature after about 6 months. Then after being fertilized they give birth after a month or so (I think). Them, they can continue giving birth for up to 7 months, even without the precence of a male in the tank. Google breeding guppies and you'll get a wealth of info.

samandnelly wrote:Do you need an air pump for the Rosey Reds? I heard they can only survive a day without oxygen in their water.

I'm not sure about rosey reds, but I have a few white cloud minnows in a 2 gal. tank with my aquatic plants, with no filter or anything and they're doing fine...
BullDog

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition