Feeding and Nutrition :: Anything besides minnows and guppies?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:43 pm   Anything besides minnows and guppies?

Just wondering if there are any fish besides minnows and guppies I can feed Michelangelo. I plan on going to wal-mart and the pet store tomorrow to see what they have. I want something colorful, probably in reds or the like as I know he will eat a red fish but not a black or grey fish. So any help would be nice. Thanks!
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:49 pm   

my turtle jus loves neon tetras. i know they are not feeder fishes but my turtle ate them us anyway. small pet store had small ones for less than 50 cents each. about $1 for medium and larger. petsmart has medium and large only and they sell them for $1.75 each.
jeggy

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:55 am   

Have you thought about adding worms or other invertebrates as feeders? My turtles love nightcrawlers, crickets, and grasshoppers. I also toss snails into the tank when I find the, although I have never seen Al eat one.
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:59 am   

I already have snails in three. to record he's eaten at least three of them. He's got ghost shrimp and I think he's eaten six of those so far. The worms and crickets might be later on as when I did offer them he freaked out, so I think I'll stick more to what can stay in the water with him for now. And those neon tetras sound good and colorful!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:02 pm   

I've never seen a turt refuse a wriggling earthworm. Cut it into pieces if it's too big.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:18 pm   

I ran to petland and waited for half an hour and no one would help me so I left. But I saw the neon tetras and I don't know if he would see them or not. I saw red ones but they wanted three bucks for just one of them.

So I went to the ma and pa store, I got a minnow (kinda peach colored) for sixty cents and a red sword tail for three dollars as they were smaller compared to the red tetras (those things were huge) and they were slower swimmers from what I saw. So we shall try this little experiment.

Earth worms may come later, but we'll see how it goes with things he needs to chase as he needs some exercise.
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:59 pm   

well i bought a dozen red roseys to throw in the tank for my turts and the little one is just murdering them and leaving them to float to the top lol
Father of 2 RES: hank & lily
mikedpirone

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:52 pm   

He hasn't touched either of the new fish yet which I can't say I'm disappointed cause I actually like them in the tank, they add some color!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:24 pm   

??? neon tetras are usually smaller then rosies
jeggy

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:53 pm   

These were huge. I don't know what they were feeding them. But the minnow I got isn't all that big but he hasn't touched them so it's alright. I just am lucky I didn't get two minnows so thankfully no babies from them.
daredevilgirl013

Return to Feeding and Nutrition