Feeding and Nutrition :: Duckweed Dilemma

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:07 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

I don't think Sheldon is into the duckweed... or he hasn't realized that he can eat it yet :(
happycamper

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:51 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

If he realizes it it's a goner. I know that's the purpose but for now it's eating any nitrates in your tank. :)
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:55 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

@happycamper do you mind me asking what seller you bought it off of on ebay. I would like to get some also but don't want cups and cups full, how much did you pay for it? :mrgreen: :P
1-Miniature Dachshund- Female, 4 years old
1- RES -Red Forman
1- Iguana, 1 1/2 year -Louis the Lizard
redforman

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:12 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

I paid around 7 bucks with shipping... I'll see who the seller was when I get to work :)
happycamper

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:54 am   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

Man i WISH i could grow a plant.

My little 4 inch terror just decimates any plant i try to hide in there in minutes.
Gianni989

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:42 am   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

Gianni: Wow xD Try getting a kritter keeper, large works best for fast-reproduction plants (eg. duckweed) , and have a little garden there. For duckweed I suggest you have water up to half the tank, then start off with a few, not enough to overcrowd but just a few sprinkled around. When they overpopulate, scoop up the excess until there's just enough to cover the surface of the tank and the leaves don't touch the other plants. Feed the excess to your 4 inch terror xD
There are 3 kinds of people: Those who can count and those who can't.
[RiP] Tilly - Female 5yr old RES. [2005-2010]
2 x (Probably female) RES hatchlings - Sunny & Lily [18/09/11 - Present]
Matryoshka

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:47 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

happycamper wrote:So I am thinking about introducing duckweed to my tank because it seemed like one of the easier plants to grow in an aquarium that are natural to the sliders environment. After doing some research I am a little nervous because it can become out of control quickly, but I think it's worth the risk if it makes Sheldon happy.

Anyhow, I was reading through some articles and discovered that duckweed contains protein.

"The nutritional value of duckweed varies, but most species have protein contents in the range of 15-45% which is good and duckweed is a convenient feed for fish."
http://aquaponic-gardening.blogspot.com ... lemma.html

Obviously if it's growing like a weed I can't control how much Sheldon eats, but if it's naturally a part of the diet I can't see how this could be that bad...

Any input on the protein levels/nutritional benefits of duckweed? Any success or horror stories?

no, it's not bad..... turtles (well mine) knows when to stop eating, maybe observe it for a couple of minutes and then after at the feeding time, feed it less food or else it'll get over-full!
-anonymous <3 forever xox
elishawang

Previous

Return to Feeding and Nutrition